World Bulletin/News Desk
A string of roadside bombs and clashes in southern Afghanistan killed at least 24 Afghan civilians and police on Sunday, officials said, in one of the deadliest days of violence in the country for weeks.
Two NATO soldiers were also killed by a roadside bomb and in separate attacks over the past two days in the south, the coalition said, without providing further details.
Three bombs hit three vehicles in Kandahar province, killing 18 people including children.
"Villagers were travelling in a mini-van and a tractor when they were hit by twin roadside bombs planted by the Taliban," provincial governor spokesman Ahmad Faisal said of the attack in Spin Boldak near Afghanistan's border with Pakistan.
A third bomb then killed a family of four in Arghistan district, also straddling the Pakistani border, local officials said.
Two policemen were killed by a bomb in southern Helmand province which borders Kandahar to its west, where clashes with fighters killed another four officers, its media office said.
Civilians bear the brunt of the violence. Despite the UN reporting a 20 percent decrease in civilian deaths in the first four months of this year compared to the same period in 2011, last year saw the number of civilians killed in Afghanistan rise for a fifth straight year to over 3,000.
Teacher Muhammed Furkan Sokmen, his wife and their two-year-old daughter were stopped at Yangon airport on Wednesday evening as they tried to board a plane to Bangkok.
Police said they were working to track down and arrest Galagodaatte Gnanasara, head of the radical Buddhist Force or BBS, after he went into hiding.
Generals are among those sent to jail over failure to prevent ISIL attack on hospital in Kabul that left 50 people dead
Defense minister defends controversial practice, but human rights activist says army acts like it is above the law
We fear for our lives as we may get caught in crossfire or may get victimized by warrantless arrests: Marawi city resident
"We ordered the service providers late Wednesday to suspend internet services as outsiders... were instigating locals with WhatsApp and Facebook posts," senior police officer Bablu Kumar told AFP.
"The relevant action taken by the US vessel undermines China's sovereignty and security interests," foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang told a press briefing.
Cho Eun-Hwa, a 17-year-old girl from Danwon High School, was named by the maritime ministry in a statement.
Police are yet to make any arrests in connection with more than a dozen arson attacks against Muslims shops, mosques and a burial ground in the past month.
Abductees are teachers in Chinese language center in provincial capital Quetta, police say
Cathedral of Our Lady Help also burned by ISIL-linked militants in southern city of Marawi
Philippines need modern weapons to fight militants, Duterte says
The announcement, made by his spokesman at a press conference in Moscow where Duterte was on an official visit, fulfils an often-repeated warning by the president that he would enforce military rule to quell security threats.
Jakarta’s former governor Purnama was awarded two-year imprisonment on charges of blasphemy
Muslim leaders build Islamic school in troubled Mindanao to help government’s anti-terror campaign