World Bulletin / News Desk
Fifty four people trying to reach Italy from Libya died of thirst after a 15-day voyage in which their rubber boat gradually deflated, the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) said on Tuesday, citing the sole survivor.
It said the man, an Eritrean national, was rescued by Tunisian coastguards in a state of advanced dehydration clinging to the remains of the boat after being spotted by fishermen the previous night, the agency said.
The man said he left Libya towards the end of June as part of a 55-strong group, half of whom came from Eritrea.
"He told us that there were immediately problems on the boat, that unfortunately they weren't even allowed to take a bottle of water and so once they got lost and the voyage went on, people started to feel unwell and die because of the lack of water," U.N. spokeswoman Laura Boldrini told SkyTG24 television.
"How is it possible that in a sea like the Mediterranean which is full of fishing boats, cargo ships, naval ships, these people were just left to their fate like that," she said.
The survivor, who was taken to a hospital in Zarzis in southeastern Tunisia, told UNHCR officials the craft nearly reached the coast of Italy but was driven back by strong winds and began to deflate after a few days.
As their desperation grew, many drank sea water, which worsened their thirst, he told the officials.
The incident is the latest in a long series of disasters which have killed thousands of migrants attempting to reach southern Europe from North Africa in small, unstable and frequently overcrowded boats.
According to the UNHCR, around 170 people have died this year trying to reach Europe from Libya. Around 1,300 have reached Italy by sea since the beginning of 2012 and another 1,000 people have reached Malta.
A magnitude 5.5 earthquake struck off the coast of Guatemala early on Sunday, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
A blind elderly man gets help while being led to a voting booth to mark his ballot during a parliamentary election at a polling station in the Tajik capital Dushanbe March 1, 2015.
Yemen's Hadi declares Sanaa occupied by the Shiite Houthi, saying that the government takeover is nothing less than a coup.
Aliyev had been due to testify at the trial of other inmates he said had threatened to kill him.
Egyptian court labels Hamas as terrorist organisation
White House says president would block legislation forcing him to submit text of any nuclear agreement to Congress
Egypt has been cracking down on militancy in Sinai
Avijit Roy, whose blog championed liberal secular writing in the Muslim-majority nation, was attacked along with his wife.
Roivas' Reform Party has best chance to keep power worries about Russia, minimum wages dominate campaign
Egypt has been without a parliament since June 2012
The war correspondent was seriously wounded in shelling around Donetsk before and died in the hospital
Netanyahu's controversial visit will test the relationship of both countries.
About 400 people attend PEGIDA march, while 2,000 gather in anti-PEGIDA rally
Minister Sedki Sobhi will discuss military and security cooperation with the country
Abu Sabga said that the Erez crossing is not considered safe by many Palestinians, who fear that they would be arrested by Israeli authorities for "resisting the occupation"
Boris Nemtsov was shot several times from a passing car near the Kremlin late Friday