World Bulletin/News Desk
The war crimes trial of former Bosnian Serb general Ratko Mladic will resume on Monday after doctors determined that he is well enough to appear in court, a spokeswoman for the tribunal said on Friday.
Mladic, who is accused of genocide over the siege of the Bosnian capital Sarajevo and the 1995 killing of 8,000 Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica, was rushed to a Dutch hospital on Thursday, the fourth day of his war crimes trial, after asking for a break and slumping with his head in his hands.
"Ratko Mladic has returned to the Detention Unit after medical examinations confirmed there were no abnormalities in his health status and that no treatment is required," Nerma Jelacic, spokeswoman for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, said in a statement.
"The previous determination that Mladic is fit to stand trial therefore remains unchanged."
The 70-year-old former general was arrested in Serbia last year after 16 years on the run.
He has frequently claimed he is too ill to stand trial: he complains that he suffers from the effects of a stroke and has problems with his teeth, and he has been admitted to hospital with pneumonia.
Prosecutors and relatives of victims fear that he could die without facing justice, as happened with former Yugoslav strongman Slobodan Milosevic, who died in a Dutch prison cell in 2006 while on trial.
Two pilots are to appear in court after being arrested on suspicion of being drunk as they prepared to fly a passenger jet from Scotland to the US.
A European Commission spokesman said “the ball is still rolling” a day after Germany’s economy minister said the talks had “de facto failed.”
Caught between chronic economic instability and large numbers of migrants, Athens feels abandoned by fellow EU states
'We would oppose efforts to move south and engage in activities against the Syrian Democratic Forces,' Ben Rhodes says
'High-grade' nickel discovered in northwestern Kaduna state
Head of UN refugee agency visits Ugandan camps hosting South Sudanese refugees
Attackers storm wedding ceremony with hand grenades and machine-guns, according to army sources
Pair had been planning to flee to Somalia, police officer says
Delegation members to discuss ongoing Yemen conflict with Iraqi officials
At 40, Chahed is Tunisia's youngest premier since independence from France in 1956, and the seventh in less than six years since the 2011 uprising that ousted strongman Zine El Abidine Ben Ali.
Country’s official electoral commission rejects calls to allow Hashd al-Shaabi to register as party in advance of polls
Campaigners want government to uphold rule of law as reports emerge of police removing headscarf-wearing women from beaches
No casualties reported in early-morning explosion at Brussels Institute of Criminology
The independent City Press on Sunday said the National Prosecution Authority (NPA) was on the verge of charging the minister in a case dating back to the time he headed the country's tax collecting agency.