World Bulletin/News Desk
The International Criminal Court on Friday issued a new arrest warrant for Congolese general Bosco Ntaganda, for alleged war crimes including murder, rape and sexual slavery.
Ntaganda is already wanted by the Hague-based war crimes court for conscripting child fighters in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
The court said the new warrant was for suspected war crimes and crimes against humanity in the DRC's Kivu provinces, a mineral-rich area plagued by long-running conflict, between September 2002 and September 2003.
"There are reasonable grounds to believe that Bosco Ntaganda is responsible for three counts of crimes against humanity, consisting in murder, rape and sexual slavery, and persecution," the court said in a statement.
"Bosco Ntaganda allegedly bears individual criminal responsibility for four counts of war crimes consisting of murder, attacks against the civilian population, rape and sexual slavery, and pillaging," it added.
The ICC has sought Ntaganda's arrest for six years on charges that he conscripted children to fight in a bloody ethnic conflict in northeastern Congo that grew out of a broader civil war. Ntaganda denies involvement in war crimes.
The court also issued an arrest warrant on Friday for Sylvestre Mudacumura, the leader of the FDLR (Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda) militia operating in the Kivu provinces, saying he was suspected of war crimes between January 2009 and September 2010 in the area.
"There are reasonable grounds to believe that Mr Mudacumura is responsible for nine counts of war crimes, consisting of attacking civilians, murder, mutilation, cruel treatment, rape, torture, destruction of property, pillaging and outrages against personal dignity," the court said in a statement.
The leaders of the mostly ethnic Hutu FDLR fled from Rwanda to Congo after Rwanda's 1994 genocide, in which 800,000 people died, mostly ethnic Tutsis.
The group played a major role in Congo's 1998-2003 conflict, in which 5 million people died, and has continued mass rapes, torture and killing.
This week, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda and neighbouring states called for the creation of an international military force to eliminate armed rebels in the DRC's turbulent east.
All flight traffic between Saudi Arabia and Iraq has remained frozen since latter’s 1990 invasion of Kuwait
More than 10,000 children are still separated from their families, aid organizations say
Conservative Premier Stanislaw Tillich steps down after embarrassing election defeat in eastern state of Saxony
Every Somali citizen has to take a gun and fight al-Shabaab, president tells thousands at football stadium
'Pro-regime forces attacked our partners and attempted to block them from liberating the Syrian people,' White House says
Talks were productive and made substantial progress on the overall agenda, the State Department says
Protest organized by Council on American-Islamic Relations ended at Trump International Tower
EU President Donald Tusk warned there would be no breakthroughs at the summit, saying that while there had been "promising progress" London needed to come up with more concrete proposals.
Small cash transfers being used to develop small businesses
Blame for Rohingya crisis lies with country's military leadership, Rex Tillerson says
Wednesday's airstrikes target terrorist camps in Zap region, Turkish military says
One soldier killed, several injured by ADF attack on convoy of senior army officer in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo
Attorney General Jeff Sessions refused to discuss any private conversations he had with President Trump
In statement issued from New York, Roselyn Akombe says next Thursday's repeat elections cannot be credible
Forestry and Water Minister Veysel Eroglu says Turkey ‘is among top three in terms of water projects’