World Bulletin / News Desk
A guerrilla rebel attack on the Damascus police headquarters on Thursday left dozens of security personnel and militiamen loyal to President Bashar al-Assad dead or wounded, an opposition activist said.
Rebels armed with AK-47s, small machineguns and explosive devices cut off two main roads leading to the complex in the central Qanawat district and attacked it at around 4:45 p.m (1345 GMT), he said.
"Three patrol cars came to the site and were hit by roadside bombs near Bab Sreijeh. I saw three bodies in one car. Others said dozens of security men and shabbiha (Assad militia) lay dead or wounded along Khaled bin al-Walid street before ambulances took them away," the activist, Abu Rateb, said by phone from the area.
"The headquarters is blackened and it looks abandoned," he added.
Other opposition activists in Damascus said rebels had managed to blast their way into the heavily fortified complex and seize weapons before withdrawing, following a one-hour firefight.
Syrian authorities have banned most independent journalists from the country, making independent verification of events on the ground difficult.
Kuwait also ordered the closure of the Iranian "military, cultural and trade" missions, said the government official, who asked not to be named.
Viral videos show Saudi prince physically and verbally assaulting at least 4 residents in capital Riyadh
Last week, Iraq formally declared victory over ISIL in Mosul
Sinai Peninsula has remained the epicenter of deadly militant insurgency since 2013
Talks are expected to tackle cooperation on fighting ISIL
The interior ministry said the two militants killed in New Cairo were senior members of the Hasam group -- an extremist movement the government accuses of links to the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood.
Prime minister denies cooperation with Syrian regime over planned operation around Juroud Arsal
UN agency says capital Sanaa among provinces hardest-hit by the disease
The measure, which goes into effect on Thursday, will not include spouses of Egyptians or university students who will be granted tourist visas on arrival, foreign ministry spokesman Ahmed Abu Zeid said.
Last month, four Arab states imposed a blockade on Qatar, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism
Parliament approves extension of troops for the period between Sept. 5, 2017, and Oct. 31, 2018
The Washington Post says UAE orchestrated hacking of Qatar's state-run news and social media sites
High-ranking military, scientists listed over targeting of civilians
A news report said six countries asked FIFA to remove Qatar as World Cup hosts