World Bulletin / News Desk
An Afghan police commander and several of his men killed three U.S. soldiers in the southern province of Helmand, Afghan officials said on Friday.
The men were all American special forces members and were killed on Thursday night while attending a meeting in the Sarwan Qala area, in what appeared to be a planned attack by Afghan forces.
"During dinner, the police commander and his colleagues shot them and then fled. The commander was Afghan National Police in charge of local police in Sangin," a senior Afghan official told Reuters on condition of anonymity. Sangin is a district.
"It looks like he had drawn up a plan to kill them previously," the official said.
A spokeswoman for NATO-led forces in the country confirmed the incident.
"All we know is that they were killed by an Afghan in a uniform of some sort," the spokeswoman said.
NATO combat soldiers prepare to hand over to Afghan forces by 2014, after which most foreign forces will leave the country.
According to NATO, there have been 24 such attacks on foreign troops since January in which 28 people have been killed, not including Thursday's attack. Last year, there were 21 attacks in which 35 people were killed.
Another foreign soldier was killed in the south on Friday during an insurgent attack, NATO said, while seven civilians were killed and three were wounded by an insurgent roadside bomb, also in Helmand.
In a 24 hours for the NATO-led force, three U.S. soldiers and an American aid worker were killed earlier on Thursday in the eastern province of Kunar in an attack by a suicide bomber.
Two Abu Sayyaf captives saved by troops in mainly Muslim Sulu province in the south
Senior police to investigate claims group in far northwest is backed by Indian intelligence
Chances are high North Korea may undertake various military provocations to disrupt sanctions, says South’s acting leader
Upcoming Syria peace talks in Kazakh capital will be a "difficult" and "long" process, Russian experts say
School bus carrying 50 children collides head-on with truck in northern Uttar Pradesh state; death toll expected to rise
The fire began at dawn on the ground floor of Pasar Senen market, a sprawling complex of stalls on several levels that was built during Dutch colonial rule.
Since October Myanmar's army has carried out "clearance operations" in the north of western Rakhine state to root out insurgents accused of deadly raids on police border posts.
Surprise outcome leaves leading South Korean politicians fuming as probe into presidential office scandal suffers setback
About 100 people gathered in central Hanoi for the 43rd anniversary of the Chinese takeover of the Paracel islands in the South China Sea -- territory claimed by both nations that remains a diplomatic flashpoint.
Gulbuddin Hekmatyar expected to be removed from UN terror list within days
Organization of Islamic Cooperation’s Council of Foreign Ministers meeting to discuss plight of Muslim minority in Myanmar
Duterte launched his broadside in response to the powerful Catholic Church mounting a campaign to stop the killings in his anti-drugs drive, which has claimed about 6,000 lives in less than seven months.
Of 10 miners trapped by the disaster, one saved and given medical treatment, but the rest die
Malaysia Airlines remains hopeful for closure over flight, which disappeared in 2014 with 239 passengers and crew on board
Last November's bombing sent 4 children to hospital, one of whom died of burns over most of her body
Khan, 51, has now been acquitted in three out of four cases filed against him for hunting rare black bucks, a native species of antelope, while shooting a film in the northwestern state of Rajasthan in 1998.