World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkey has issued a warning asking its citizens to refrain from travelling to Lebanon in coming days due to the latest abduction of two Turkish nationals in this country.
Releasing a written statement on Friday, the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Lebanon was no more a secure place for Turks following the abduction of a Turkish citizen together with a number of foreigners on August 15, and the kidnapping of another citizen on August 16.
"Our talks and efforts are underway for the immediate release of our citizens," the ministry said.
"On the other hand, we call on our citizens to refrain from travelling to Lebanon, unless obligatory, in the light of latest developments," the ministry noted.
The statement also urged Turks already in Lebanon to take the necessary precautions and follow the warnings and announcements to be released by the Turkish Foreign Ministry and Turkish Embassy in Beirut.
A Turkish national, identified as Aydin Tufan Tekin, was abducted on Wednesday by armed men affiliated with a powerful tribe in Lebanon. Lebanese Miqdad tribe has said it kidnapped more than 20 people including Syrian opposition members and fighters with the Free Syrian Army in retaliation to the arrest of one of their tribesmen by the FSA inside Syria.
On Thursday, there were reports that a Turkish lorry driver was kidnapped by unidentified assailants in Beirut.
Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar told their citizens to leave Lebanon after Wednesday's kidnappings and threats to seize more citizens of countries that have backed the uprising against Syria's President Bashar al-Assad.
Some 1,122 -over 26 percent of total- of foreign-partnered companies were founded directly by Syrians or as partners with local businessmen between January and November.
Turkey's AFAD says the government spent nearly $12 million in aid to shelter-seekers from Kobani
Hundreds of people from all backgrounds have gathered in Ankara at the Pakistan embassy to honour the victims of the Peshawar attack this week.
"You will respect the decisions of Turkish judiciary and the rule of law," says Erdogan in caustic response to EU criticism of recent police probe and detentions
Turkey will be an extra regional observer at the Central American Integration System in 2015.
Three formal acquittals followed between 2006 and 2011, but the Istanbul criminal court reopened the case again, and last year sentenced Selek, who lives in France, to life in prison.
Turkish President Erdogan has said that Turkey and Qatar stand together with the oppressed people of the world
Istanbul prosecutor asks court to issue arrest warrant for U.S.-based preacher Gulen in a probe. He was charged with “managing a terror organization", making person devoid of his freedom by using force, threat or trick and Causing any administrative or juridical sanctions except from jail for aggrieved by slandering him
Three Turks detained recently in Germany are not linked with Turkey's National Intelligence Organization, the Turkish foreign ministry says.
Turkey could begin training and equipping moderate Syrian opposition fighters before March
International conference hears call for more public transportation to beat congestion in Turkey's largest city
Istanbul Penal Court rules for the arrest of four people including Hidayet Karaca, chairman of the Samanyolu Media Group, and releases eight others, including Ekrem Dumanli, editor-in-chief of Zaman newspaper.
Government plans to allow companies involved in cancelled South Stream Pipeline project to begin feasibility studies anyway, to avoid having the government pay compensation
10 members of the PKK, 4 of whom under 18 years of age, surrendered to to authorities at Habur Border Gate of Turkey
Turkish dailies on Friday mostly covered latest developments in an ongoing investigation into the Gulen Movement...
Meeting's main purpose is to discuss mechanisms that enable the International Organization of Turkic Culture to act together