World Bulletin/News Desk
A former deputy of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Friday a pre-emptive military strike against Iran over its nuclear programme could embroil Israel in a "disastrous war".
Shaul Mofaz, a parliamentary opposition leader who quit Netanyahu's cabinet last month where he served as vice premier, said on Israeli television he thought Israel was "planning a hasty, irresponsible event".
The former general and defence minister said he thought Israel could not do anything to force a strategic change in Iran's nuclear programme.
As a member of Netanyahu's security cabinet for two months, Mofaz was privy to deliberations on Iran's nuclear programme.
He told Channel 2 television in a studio interview that any Israeli military action "can at the most delay it (Iran's programme) by about a year, and it can bring upon us a disastrous war".
Naming both Netanyahu and Defence Minister Ehud Barak, he said he was "very worried at what they are preparing". He added: "I hope very much we don't reach such a war because it would be a disaster."
Days after he quit the cabinet late in July in a dispute about military conscription policy, Mofaz, who heads the centrist Kadima party, cautioned he would not back any Israeli military "adventures".
His comments echoed those of other former Israeli security officials who have spoken against any unilateral attack on Iran's nuclear facilities, with some saying such an assault could spur Tehran to speed up uranium enrichment.
Israel widely believed to be the only atomic power in the Middle East, views Iran's nuclear programme as an existential threat.
There has been an upsurge in rhetoric from Israeli politicians this month suggesting Israel might attack Iran's nuclear facilities ahead of U.S. presidential elections in November.
Netanyahu is frustrated that Western diplomacy to try to force Iran to rein in its programme has so far proved fruitless.
However senior Israeli officials have said that a final decision about whether to attack Iran has not yet been taken, with ministers disagreeing over the issue and the military hierarchy unhappy about the prospect of going it alone without full U.S. backing.
Following a defence ministers meeting in Brussels, US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter has said that NATO is considering joining the US-led coalition against ISIL
Army targets Nusra Front positions near Lebanese town of Arsal near border with Syria, local security source tells Anadolu Agency
An armored security vehicle struck a bomb near northern Sinai Peninsula's Sheikh Zuweid city
Relations between Israel, European Union back on track, Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman says
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, has said that Saudi Arabia will be sending aircraft to Incirlik to fight ISIL.
High Negotiations Committee calls for regime, Russia to demonstrate commitment on ground
Turkish foreign minister says Russian bombs killed 16 civilians morning after Munich agreement
‘We need to see an end to the support for Assad that, frankly, is only exacerbating the situation,’ says State Dept.
The main battle is about cutting the road between Aleppo and Turkey,' Syrian president says
UAE special operations forces would help train and advise as well as arm anti-ISIL forces in Syria and local partners in Iraq
'The project of a temporary truce to halt hostilities will be examined with the rebel factions on the ground,' a leading member of the High Negotiations Committee says
Kuwait will sign a deal next week to buy Eurofighter jets, Kuwait's state news agency KUNA said on Thursday, citing the defence minister.
UN aid chief tells Saudi envoy that relief organizations were 'delivering life-saving assistance as per internationally recognized principles and will continue to do so'
Syrian Center for Policy Research data dwarfs last UN casualty figures
Peace talks had collapsed however a plan is now under way to resolve the war in Syria
The first ever formal meeting is scheduled to be held in March