World Bulletin / News Desk
The death toll from fighting between Lebanese Sunni Muslims and Alawites echoing the conflict in Syria climbed to at least 12 on Wednesday, the third day of clashes described as some of the heaviest since Lebanon's 1975-90 civil war.
More than 100 people have been wounded in the bloodshed this week along a sectarian fault line in the northern city of Tripoli running between the Sunni district of Bab al-Tabbaneh and the Alawite area of Jebel Mohsen.
"A ceasefire was supposed to take place this afternoon but it did not happen," a Tripoli resident told Reuters.
The sectarian tone of the fighting reflects the conflict in neighbouring Syria which increasingly sets a mainly Sunni Muslim opposition against President Bashar al-Assad's Alawite minority.
After a night-time lull, Tripoli was rocked by around two dozen explosions between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Wednesday, apparently caused by rocket-propelled grenades, witnesses said. The fighters have also been using machineguns.
Sunni-Alawite tensions have been chronic in the region and they boiled over into clashes in early June that killed 15 people. At least 10 soldiers have been wounded in efforts to stop the violence.
Nearly 5,000 Syrians have gone through a migration regulatory process in Morocco, with several hundred receiving refugee status, according to Morocco's ministry of foreign affairs.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, the official said the suspects' vehicle had been targeted and its three occupants were incinerated in the strike.
It said the decision to raise prices was within the cabinet's powers.
The visit comes after months of tension between Cairo and Riyadh
Projects will be carried out in places where terrorists had been eliminated by Turkey-led Operation Euphrates Shield
"We clearly announce that we have not and will not support any candidate in the upcoming elections," he said in a letter, signed by himself and his former deputy and presidential hopeful Hamid Baghaie.
Sinai has remained at the epicenter of a deadly militant insurgency since 2013
The official told AFP that two fighters were also wounded in the attack on the Al-Fawwar camp near Quneitra in southwestern Syria, adding that it was unclear whether the damage was inflicted by an air strike or shelling.
King Salman replaces cabinet members, US ambassador in reshuffle
Assad has said repeatedly that his forces turned over all chemical weapons stockpiles in 2013, under a deal brokered by Russia to avoid threatened US military action.
Some 150 Syrian families seek aid at Atma refugee camp near Turkish border