World Bulletin / News Desk
Israel will not assign lawyers for a trial in which four top Israeli commanders are facing charges for their role in a 2010 Israeli attack on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla that left nine Turks dead, Cihan news agency reported.
In May 2010 Israeli raid on the Mavi Marmara led to the deaths of eight Turkish civilians and one Turkish-American.
A source speaking to the agency has said that Israel will avoid “cooperating in such a process” by refusing to appoint defense lawyers, defining the trial as a Turkish “unilateral judicial process.”
The İstanbul 7th High Criminal Court has already decided to instruct the İstanbul Bar Association to appoint lawyers for the suspects, as noted in court proceedings.
An indictment prepared by İstanbul prosecutors seeks 10 aggravated life sentences for each of the four Israeli commanders, including the country's former Chief of General Staff Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi. The other officers are former Naval Forces commander Vice Adm. Eliezer Marom, former Israeli military intelligence chief Maj. Gen. Amos Yadlin and former Air Force intelligence head, Brig. Gen. Avishai Levi. The court will also invite an expert who speaks Hebrew to court. The trial will begin on Nov. 6.
Ankara wants an official apology from Israel for the raid and calls for the lifting of the Gaza blockade, but both demands have been rejected by the Israeli government so far. With the increased tensions, Turkey has expelled the Israeli ambassador and suspended all military agreements it had with the country.
PKK has hit eight Turkish soldiers killing them in an ambush in Hakkari, in the southeast of the country
Turkey has not compromised over its laws even after the July 15 coup attempt, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Friday.
Turkish president lashes out at US Central Command chief who says post-coup purge might affect relations
Social Security Institution to pay monthly salaries on top of one-time compensation to victims of July 15 failed coup
Seyit Ali Gumustas spent evening treating wounded on Bogazici (Bosphorus) Bridge
Binali Yildirim says Akinci Air Base in Ankara, center for July 15 coup-plotters, will be closed
In an interview, Ilknur Inceoz tells how members of Turkish parliament responded to failed coup
Turkey wants to export 15.7 billion cubic meters of natural gas, Russian Energy Minister Novak says
In letter to Turkish-US friendship group, co-chairman says Turkey's respect for rule of law will not be compromised
16 others suspended from duty over alleged links to Fetullah Gulen, accused of being behind July 15 coup attempt
Three businessmen linked to Fethullah Gulen have been arrested the coup
Central Command chief says post-coup purge might effect Turkey-US military cooperation
Following end of third round in Ankara, fourth round will be held in Islamabad in August
Turkey asks Germany to extradite Gulenist prosecutors
Upward trend reflects Turkish people's trust in economy was undamaged by July 15 coup attempt, according to analysts