World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkey's National Intelligence Organization (MİT) is directly involved in the negotiations to free 11 Lebanese Shiite pilgrims who were abducted in Syria, the Lebanese Daily Star reported on Thursday.
According to the report, a Turkish official has stated that the fates of two Turkish citizens kidnapped in Lebanon -- Abd Basset Orssolane and Aydın Tufan Tekin -- are tied to that of the 11 Lebanese pilgrims currently held in Syria, signaling Ankara's involvement in negotiations to end a crisis that began three months ago.
“The fate of the Turks kidnapped in Lebanon is de facto linked to the fate of the Lebanese inside Syria,” said the same official to the Daily Star.
According to the official, Lebanese Interior Minister Marwan Charbel and director of General Security Brig. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim were briefed on the current status of the Lebanese kidnapped in Syria by MİT Undersecretary Hakan Fidan.
The report states that Charbel visited Turkey over the weekend in search of accurate information regarding the Lebanese pilgrims amid conflicting media reports concerning the fate of the men, many of whom had been reported dead in air strikes that targeted the Syrian town of Azaz, which killed at least 40 people.
However, Turkish President Abdullah Gül recently stated that the kidnapping of businessman Tekin was not linked to the abduction of the 11 Lebanese pilgrims in Syria. The Lebanese Shiite pilgrims were abducted in Syria in May while returning from a pilgrimage in Iran.
Tekin's abduction by the Meqdad clan in Beirut came after reports that the pilgrims had died in the air strikes in Azaz in northern Syria.
“We are doing what we can to save the abducted Lebanese, but this is an issue that we are not directly involved in,” said Gül.
The clan said that Tekin was kidnapped in retaliation for the Free Syrian Army's abduction of their relative Hasan Meqdad in Damascus. Meanwhile, the clan warned on Monday of unspecified action if their kinsman kidnapped in Syria is not released soon, raising fears that the Turkish hostages' life may be in danger.
The report also stated that officials at the Turkish Embassy maintained that the issue of the 11 Lebanese pilgrims and the two Turkish citizens kidnapped in Beirut were independent of one another, adding that Turkish officials were working to secure the pilgrims' release. The official also said that last week's strikes on the Syrian town of Azaz had further complicated the case of the Lebanese pilgrims in Syria.
Local Election Board says no congress can be held until Ankara court has its say
Turkish PM says reconciliation deal with Israel will be signed Tuesday
“We see an acceleration in steps to smooth over relations with Russia,” Deputy PM Kurtulmuş says following a cabinet meeting
Ankara reaches deal with Tel Aviv on improving conditions in Gaza, Turkish president tells Palestinian counterpart
PKK terrorists detonated a bomb in Bitlis, leaving one soldier martyred and two others wounded early Monday
A new deal comes six years after an Israeli raid killed Turkish activists on a flotilla seeking to deliver aid to Gaza
Von der Leyen expresses regret for cancellation of German lawmakers' visit to Turkish base
Istanbul police were searching for 51 FETÖ suspects charged with financially supporting the extreme group
- Turkish forces kill 3 PKK extremists in Hakkari province, military says
Governorship says seven people were slightly injured after assailant shot at coaches in Turkish capital
A crackdown on those linked to Erdogan has seen the arrest of 28 people in a number of cities across the country
The Turkish military has bombed positions of PKK terrorist group in Iraq's Hakurk region and Turkey's southeastern provinces
Turkish president and the leader of Palestinian group talk about resolving disagreements between Palestinians
“European countries remain incapable of solving ongoing problems. That's why Turkey should be a member of the union,” Turkey's EU minister says
PKK terrorists have attacked Turkish troops in southeastern Hakkari and Mardin provinces
The 16th Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court of Appeals in Ankara has ruled that the proceedings against former President, Military Officer Kenan Evren and Tahsin Sahinkaya, a Turkish Air Force Commander, were to be dropped due to the defendants' death and that their defence, while alive, was invalid.