World Bulletin / News Desk
Three lawyers were gunned down Tuesday by attackers believed to be linked to the ISIL terrorist group in Iraq’s northern Nineveh province, according to a local police source.
“Gunmen stopped the car of lawyer Mohamed Ahmad al-Khalidi, who was accompanied at the time by two other lawyers,” Federal Police Captain Mustafa al-Naimi said.
“The gunmen then opened fire on the three men, killing them instantly,” al-Naimi said.
According to the police officer, the deadly attack took place on a main road linking the city of Mosul and the Hamam al-Alil district south of Nineveh province (of which Mosul serves as regional capital).
Al-Naimi said the three victims had all been involved in local court cases related to terrorism in general and ISIL in particular.
He believes the attack was carried out by ISIL “sleeper cells” with a view to “sowing fear among those working against terrorism in Nineveh."
As of Tuesday afternoon, however, no group had claimed responsibility for the killings.
ISIL has recently suffered a string of decisive defeats in both Iraq and Syria after overrunning vast swathes of territory in both countries in mid-2014.
Holt, a 26-year-old Mormon missionary from Utah, had traveled to Venezuela in June 2016 to marry Thamara, whom he had met on the internet.
Parliament will convene on Monday to vote on annulling the election results amid fraud allegations
Abbas, 82, was taken to hospital last week after suffering a fever
The strike over a hike in diesel prices has caused widespread fuel shortages that have shut down urban transportation systems, crippled industries and sent prices of food and fuel soaring.
The latest conciliatory declarations capped a turbulent few days of diplomatic brinkmanship on the Korean Peninsula that had sent tensions soaring.
This is first election after deal with FARC rebels to end decades-long insurgency in country
Trump, in a tweet, did not identify Holt by name but Utah Senator Orrin Hatch confirmed that the Utah resident had been freed.
Platini was banned from all football-related activities, later reduced on appeal to four years, by FIFA following a $2 million payment he received from the body in 2011 for work he did a decade earlier, with no contract to show for the deal.
The airstrike was believed to have been carried out by a U.S.-led coalition warplane
Video shows desecration with bacon, ‘bodily fluids’
South Korea's presidential office celebrates possible resurrection of Trump-Kim summit
For 9th Friday in row, Palestinians demonstrate near Gaza-Israel security fence despite risk of violent Israeli response
Baghdad says strikes are pre-approved by regime in Damascus