World Bulletin / News Desk
Yangon authorities on Friday sued three Muslim men for holding Ramadan prayers in the street, after the local school where they used to worship was shut down by a nationalist mob.
Two nearby Islamic schools were shuttered in late April after ultra-nationalists complained local Muslims were illegally using them to conduct prayers.
Authorities have said the closure is temporary, but given no timeline for when they may be reopened.
"We feel sorry. This month is important for us," local Muslim leader Zaw Min Latt told AFP, referring to the holy month of Ramadan which began last week.
"We used those schools for prayer for decades. These restrictions have been brought in after more than 60 years."
Local authorities issued a statement saying the prayer session threatened "stability and the rule of law" in the mainly Muslim neighbourhood in the east of Myanmar's commercial capital.
A policeman who asked not to be named confirmed the charges.
Two officers tried to stop AFP journalists from filming when they visited one of the madrassas on Friday.
"It's our mosque as well as our school. We don't know when it will be reopened," Khin Soe, a local resident in his 50s, said as he set off to pray in another part of town.
The case comes as Myanmar's government has been seeking to clamp down on hate speech after a spike in anti-Muslim actions by hardliners from the country's Buddhist majority.
Religious tensions have soared since a group of Rohingya Muslims attacked police posts in Rakhine State in October, sparking a bloody military crackdown that has drawn widespread international condemnation.
Last week Myanmar's top Buddhist authority officially banned the Ma Ba Tha, an ultra-nationalist movement affiliated with firebrand cleric Wirathu, which responded by simply changing its name.
The move came after nationalists this month clashed with Muslims in another Muslim neighbourhood in Yangon, after pushing police to raid a house there in search of illegal Rohingya Muslim hideouts.
Cabinet vows to implement contentious economic measures despite calls by opposition for mass protests
Murat Kocabicak sentenced to 9 years in jail for his links to Fetullah Terrorist Organization
Thousands of people left stranded after public buses, trams, trains and the metro all come to halt
Resat Karabalik was so-called commander in eastern Van province
BIST 100 up 0.18 percent while USD/TRY exchange rate climbs over 3.8
Rescue team has not ruled out possibility of locating more bodies
Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu attending inauguration ceremony of Turkish Consulate General in Canada
Here are the main topics World Bulletin's English Desk plans to cover on Tuesday, Jan. 16, 2018
Israeli officials say Gaza economy was “like from zero to below zero”
Rappler, set up in 2012, is among a clutch of Philippine news organisations that have sparred with Duterte over their critical coverage of his brutal drugs war.