World Bulletin / News Desk
Japan's top diplomat confirmed Thursday that Tokyo has paid its dues to UNESCO that were withheld after the United Nations body registered documents relating to the Nanjing Massacre in World War II as part of its Memory of the World project.
After the thousands of documents submitted by China were registered last year, the Japanese government had complained that the UN conducted the move “unilaterally” without allowing them to have a chance to challenge or verify some of the conclusions.
The purported bloodbath that followed the Imperial Army’s capture of the Chinese capital in 1937 continues to roil relations in Asia.
Many conservatives in Japan maintain that the massacre did not occur or that the commonly accepted figure of 300,000 deaths is greatly exaggerated.
Kyodo news agency reported Thursday that Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida told reporters that Japan paid its obligatory dues of around 3.85 billion yen ($32.7 million) to UNESCO earlier this week, after it noted “improvements” in the screening process for the program at the UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
"We believe it represents big progress that work has been done to review the system" regarding registration for Memory of the World, Kishida said.
Tokyo has in the past been a mainstay of UNESCO, which among other things preserves sites of historical or cultural value. It provides nearly 9.6 percent of the operating budget.
Considering that the United States cut off its share -- 22 percent -- in 2011, the total shortage represents nearly one third of the budget. Washington stopped paying after Palestine was permitted to join.
Turkish Cooperation and Coordination Agency signs agreement to restore Fatih Hammam in capital Pristina
After more than 4 years in prison, award-winning photojournalist, now 31, faces possible death sentence.
Turkey, China have potential to further improve ties, says Turkish Culture and Tourism Minister Kurtulmus
Turkish language course introduced to curriculum in Kuala Lumpur school, a first in Malaysia
Turkey's culture and tourism minister says around 250,000 Chinese tourists visited Turkey in 2017
Search engine features animation on homepage of Orhan Veli Kanik watching the Galata Tower in Istanbul
'The event created an atmosphere of peace and bridged international divides,' Yunus Emre Institute's US director says
Originating in Central Asia, tulips passed through Anatolia, arrived in the Netherlands and spread worldwide
Sukru Altay vows to dedicate his next fight in Germany to President Erdogan and Turkish soldiers fighting terrorism in Syria
Al-Aqsa is issue concerning whole Muslim community, with Turkey leading it, says Palestinian scholar
Yeditepe Biennial in Istanbul will display 3,000 works of art
YEE presents Mevlana Jalaluddin al-Rumi’s teachings to Austrians
Culture and Tourism Minister Numan Kurtulmus says 400,000 people used mobile libraries last year
Muhammet Bulut makes tea for Turkish soldiers participating in military operation in Syria's Afrin region
Pakistani citizen Gulzar Ahmad says his truck features portrait of Turkish president because 'he is my ideal leader'