World Bulletin / News Desk
A desperate international search continued Friday for a missing submarine in the southern Atlantic Ocean with a crew of 44 aboard.
Communications went silent with the ARA San Juan on Nov. 15 while it traveled north in the frigid ocean between two bases.
Officials said a noise “consistence” with an explosion was detected hours after contact was lost.
Navy spokesman Capt. Enrique Balbi told reporters Thursday it is unknown what caused the suspected explosion but there is no evidence of an attack.
As teams scramble to find the submarine that, barring any damage if there were an explosion aboard, would have about a week’s work of oxygen, family members have lambasted the navy for jeopardizing lives in the decades-old vessel.
The government is evaluating the response to the crisis by the navy’s leadership, including admirals and accountants for the operations of the German-built submarine that was commissioned in 1985 and restored in 2014.
There is “anger” inside the executive mansion, La Casa Rosada, according to Clarin newspaper that said the government considers there was “negligence” and “hidden” information by the navy.
There is widespread speculation President Mauricio Macri has already decided to dismiss Navy chief Admiral Marcelo Srur but an announcement would not be made until until the submarine is found.
The Defense Ministry has opened at least 40 internal investigations and demanded Srur issue an exhaustive report on the circumstances that led to ship’s disappearance.
Among the countries involved in the search of the 185,000 square-mile (480,000 square-kilometer) area are Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru, U.K, U.S. and Uruguay.
Some 6,500 Palestinians are currently being held in Israeli prisons
'Texas honors all the men and women who protect and serve our communities, and justice will be served,' Texas governor says
Police said the suspect, 25-year-old Alek Minassian, was not known to them before Monday's carnage in Canada's most populous city, which also left 15 people injured.
At least 41 Palestinians were martyred by Israeli gunfire on Gaza border since March 30
Talks are expected to tackle the possibility of U.S. troop withdrawal from war-torn Syria
Plans to roll out an appeals process globally in coming months came as Facebook provided a first-ever look at internal standards used to decide what posts go too far in terms of hateful or threating speech.
John Bolton led Gatestone Institute from 2013 until he took his White House position earlier this month
Attack ‘not part of a wider plot and there is no threat to national security’, says public safety minister
That vote, scheduled to take place at about 5:00 pm (2100 GMT), would not end the nomination, but would put a negative recommendation in the hands of the closely-divided full Senate -- where his approval is not guaranteed.
The company said in a message to customers that the attack was detected on January 14, at a time when the app had 14 million users in the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan and Turkey, according to the economic news website Arabian Business.
We hope everyone remains fully committed to implementation and long-term preservation, says UN under-secretary-general
Obama, who met with Mandela in 2005 and who made an emotional address at his funeral, will speak at the lecture marking 100 years since the anti-apartheid icon was born.
A total of 41 Gazans have been martyred by Israeli gunfire since March 30
On Thursday, Iraqi F-16 fighter jets struck ISIL positions in Syria
On Thursday, Iraqi F-16 fighter jets struck ISIL locations in neighboring Syria