A protester was killed and ten others were injured Sunday when members from Yemen's Houthi movement opened fire to disperse an anti-Houthi demonstration in the central city of Taiz, eyewitnesses have said.
Houthi gunmen used teargas and live rounds to disperse the anti-Houthi protest in Taiz, killing one protester and wounding ten others, eyewitnesses told.
Wounded protesters were transferred to nearby hospitals while dozens of protesters suffered temporary asphyxia from teargas.
Witnesses had earlier told that a mass protest roamed several streets in the city before reaching the Special Forces encampment - where pro-Houthi forces are stationed - to demand the Houthis' departure.
Earlier Sunday, Houthi gunmen took control of Taizz airport, located in city's al-Hawban district. Another group of Houthi militants had taken over a court complex in the city's Wadi al-Qadi district.
The pro-Houthi troops entered the Taizz province on Friday and took up positions in a Special Forces camp in the provincial capital that carries the same name.
The troops were backed by 20 military vehicles and personnel carriers when they entered the camp, witnesses added.
More than 200,000 suspected cholera cases have been reported in Yemen
HRW accused UAE of running two secret detention facilities in Yemen
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres earlier this week had been adamant that Kuwait was best placed to lead efforts to defuse the crisis.
The 13-point list of demands includes closure of Al Jazeera television and downgrading Iran ties
"Iran... as always expresses its readiness to assist and cooperate with other countries to confront these criminals, who deal death and ignorantly spread hate," foreign ministry spokesman Bahram Ghassemi said.
Members of Al-Nahyan family given 15-month suspended sentence, fined
5 police officers, 6 foreign nationals wounded when suicide bomber detonates bomb
Anwar Gargash, the UAE's state minister for foreign affairs, issued the warning more than two weeks into the oil-rich region's worst crisis in years.
State of emergency was initially declared following April’s deadly twin church attacks
Six Kalibr cruise missiles were fired from eastern Mediterranean, says defense ministry
Turkey has quality human resources, outstanding capabilities, high-class products, says Kuwaiti minister
Activist is vocal opponent of controversial border demarcation agreement with Saudi Arabia
Ship dispatched by Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD) carries 10,000 tons of supplies to blockaded enclave
U.S. Statement Department questioned motives of Gulf allies for their blockade on Qatar
Signaling Washington's mounting frustration at Riyadh's role in the crisis, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert called into question whether Qatar's alleged support for terrorism is its true cause.
Arrests come two weeks after terrorist group claims responsibility for deadly twin attacks in Tehran