World Bulletin / News Desk
Hundreds of frightened Syrian evacuees from two besieged government-held towns were stuck at a rebel-held transit point on Thursday where dozens of their fellow townspeople were killed in a weekend bombing.
Some 300 evacuees from rebel-held towns were similarly held up at a staging point at Ramussa in government-held territory.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the delay was the result of 11th-hour rebel demands for the release of prisoners held by the government.
"The convoys will not move until after the release of 750 prisoners -- men and women -- from regime prisons and their arrival in rebel-held areas," the British-based monitoring group said.
The hard-won resumption of evacuations on Wednesday came after a suicide car bomber killed 126 people, 68 of them children, in Rashidin on Saturday.
Most of the dead were evacuees from the government-held Shiite-majority towns of Fuaa and Kafraya, with a handful of aid workers and rebels guarding the convoy also killed.
Armed rebels were standing guard at Rashidin on Wednesday and carefully inspecting vehicles arriving in the area.
The current evacuations mark the end of the first stage of a deal brokered by rebel supporter Qatar and government backer Iran late last month. A second phase is due to begin in June.
Fuaa and Kafraya will be emptied entirely, with residents and fighters heading to Aleppo and then on to government-held Latakia or Damascus.
All rebels are expected to leave Madaya, Zabadani, and other nearby oppositions-held areas, but civilians who want to remain may do so.
Those leaving rebel-held areas will head to Idlib province, which is held by an opposition alliance.
In all, up to 30,000 people are expected to leave under the deal.
The Israeli official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed the meeting was cancelled after Gabriel decided to go ahead with talks with Israeli rights groups Breaking The Silence and B'Tselem.
Musallam al-Barrak was released last week after two years behind bars for ‘undermining status of emir’
Hana Mansour-Khatib's appointment is not only a precedent for Arab women but for Jewish women as well
It remains unclear who carried out strikes, which reportedly left 15 dead and local hospital in ruins
Some 25 protestors made the 225-kilometre (140-mile) walk, dubbed the "march for bread", to call for unrestricted aid deliveries to Yemen, where Iran-backed Huthi rebels have battled government forces allied with a Saudi-led Arab coalition for two years.
Israel has occupied the West Bank for 50 years and Jewish settlement building in the Palestinian territory has drawn intense international criticism.
Khan Sheikun is a reminder of why international community must deter chemical weapon use, British foreign secretary says
'US forces will continue conducting a series of sustained operations against the AQAP in Yemen' spokesman says
Nearly 5,000 Syrians have gone through a migration regulatory process in Morocco, with several hundred receiving refugee status, according to Morocco's ministry of foreign affairs.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, the official said the suspects' vehicle had been targeted and its three occupants were incinerated in the strike.
It said the decision to raise prices was within the cabinet's powers.
The visit comes after months of tension between Cairo and Riyadh
Projects will be carried out in places where terrorists had been eliminated by Turkey-led Operation Euphrates Shield