World Bulletin / News Desk
Turkish government and opposition leaders alike have strongly condemned the incidents Saturday, in which the Dutch government canceled Turkish FM Mevlut Cavusoglu's flight permit to the Netherlands and then blocked a convoy carrying Family Minister Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya from entering the Turkish Consulate in Rotterdam.
When Turkish citizens in the Rotterdam peacefully protested these developments, they were met by police using batons, dogs, and water cannons, in what some called a disproportionate use of force.
Turkey’s first note to the Netherlands decried the mistreatment of Kaya and Turkish diplomats, saying it clearly violated the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, according to the Foreign Ministry Press Office.
The convention is an international treaty specifying the privileges of a diplomatic mission that enables diplomats to perform their functions without fear of coercion or harassment by the host country.
Kaya’s vehicle was blocked from entering the Rotterdam consulate, which is legally Turkish soil, where she was due to meet members of the Turkish community ahead of a referendum on April 16 on constitutional changes.
She was later forced to leave the consulate area with a police escort.
The first note also demands that the Dutch government investigate the incident and inform the Turkish government of the results.
The second note concerned the mistreatment of the Turkish community and citizens who exercised their right to peaceful demonstration in Rotterdam.
The note said that the community and citizens had been subjected to inhumane treatment and insults by Dutch authorities.
The Foreign Ministry demanded punishments for security forces who prevented the Turkish community from exercising their right to peaceful demonstration and mistreated them.
On eve of Election Day, Devlet Bahceli also warns of economic attacks and international conspiracies against Turkey
Operations were carried out in Turkish provinces of Gaziantep, Mugla, Osmaniye, Tekirdag, Nevsehir, and Istanbul
Binali Yildirim slams opposition for raising questions over security arrangements
Turkish president slams opposition presidential candidate for saying he will sleep outside top electoral body
Nearly $60M invested to organize anti-narcotic operations in 5 years, says minister
Turkish premier stresses stability, confidence in country for continued investments
Chairman of main opposition party says Turkey has to produce added-value goods
Muharrem Ince says he will establish ministry of industry, entrepreneurship
Observers from Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe plan to create chaos in Turkey, say security sources
Okkes Tetik was arrested in western Sakarya province
Turkish president speaks two days ahead of elections in joint broadcast of TRT channels
Raids take place in Turkey's provinces of Van, Hatay, Adana, Diyarbakir and Istanbul
Journalists from 34 countries receive accreditation from Directorate General of Press and Information for June 24 elections
No causalities reported so far from quake in Van province
Turkish justice minister also says reduction in number of ministries will enable faster services to citizens
First patrols by both Turkish and US troops in region began on June 18 and the second patrols on June 20