World Bulletin / News Desk
Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi said Indonesia’s quota for the annual Islamic pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia has been increased by 52,200 to 221,000 pilgrims this year.
She added that Jakarta would therefore no longer ask other countries for their unused quotas as it had done in 2016, when 177 Indonesians were arrested at Manila airport carrying Philippine Hajj passports believed to have been acquired fraudulently for $6,000-$10,000.
"There will be no quotas requested from other countries. Since the [additional quota] increases quite a lot," Marsudi was quoted by metrotvnews.com as saying at the presidential palace.
As the recipient of the largest Hajj quota, Indonesia -- which has a population of around 256 million -- sends around 200,000 pilgrims to Mecca and Medina every year.
It is the largest annual gathering of people in the world.
Each Indonesian pilgrim must pay a deposit of around $2,500 and there are currently more than 2 million Indonesians on the waiting list, prompting some to seek alternatives.
Residents of South Sulawesi province experience the longest queue of up to 32 years.
After it was widely reported that Indonesians were resorting to using Philippine documents, Jakarta had asked the Philippines, Japan and Singapore for their unused quotas last year.
Saudi Arabia, however, refused to approve that proposal on the grounds that no such mechanism had been in place to date.
Indonesian President Joko Widodo announced late Wednesday that Saudi Arabia would increase the country’s Hajj quota from 168,800 to 211,000 and also grant it an additional quota of 10,000.
Widodo expressed his appreciation to Saudi Arabia for the increase and the Gulf country’s efforts to improve services for pilgrims.
FM announces quota for Indonesian pilgrims increased by 52,200 to 221,000 this year
Pilgrims traditionally visit Prophet Muhammad's Mosque in Medina either before or after completing Hajj ritual
Head of religious affairs congratulates Muslims from Mecca
More than 1.8 million Muslims from around the world gathered in this year Hajj
For the first time in nearly three decades, Iran's 64,000 pilgrims are not attending the hajj in Saudi Arabia after the two regional rivals failed to agree on security and logistics.
Fatima, 38, managed to leave Syria after government troops assaulted her home neighbourhood of Baba Amr in the central city of Homs, one of the cradles of the revolt against President Bashar al-Assad.
More than 1.8 million gathered from sunrise at the hill and a vast surrounding plain known as Mount Arafat, about 15 kilometres (nine miles) from Mecca.
The pilgrims spend the day on the Arafat plateau in supplicating to God to forgive their sins
A Russian, a Chinese and a Malaysian – united in their desire to perform the Hajj – make the arduous journey to Saudi Arabia
The Hajj hosts millions of people and in doing so requires a dedicated amount of workers bringing together thousands of people to make the Hajj safe and easy for pilgrims
Some of the stories shared by pilgrims and people who work in Makkah. We’ve selected a few posts that touched our hearts.
Hezbollah reportedly threatens to expel members disobeying the ban
800 citizens travel to Mecca for Islamic pilgrimage after travel ban was lifted
Iran’s supreme leader charges Saudi authorities with ‘murdering’ pilgrims during last year’s Hajj stampede
Minister of Religious Affairs asks for quota to be proportionality revised, unused quotas to be offered to other countries
"Because of Saudi rulers' oppressive behaviour towards God's guests, the world of Islam must fundamentally reconsider the management of the two holy places and the issue of hajj," Khamenei said in a statement published on his website, referring to Mecca and Medina.