World Bulletin / News Desk
Brazilian President Michel Temer on Thursday dismissed the possibility of resigning amid corruption accusations.
“I will not resign”, Temer said in a televised message to the nation after the Supreme Federal Court decided to open an investigation regarding allegations made the previous day that he approved of payments to a former powerful lawmaker to keep quiet.
The O´Globo news outlet reported that Temer was recorded by Joesley Batista, who owns JBS, the world’s largest meat company, while he endorsed payments to buy the silence of the former head of the lower House Speaker Eduardo Cunha.
It is believed that Cunha has evidence on a number of high-ranking politicians and business leaders in a massive nationwide “Car Wash” corruption investigation into bribes to obtain contracts at state-owned oil-giant, Petrobras.
It is possible Cunha, who is serving a 15-year prison sentence, could reach a plea deal with authorities for a lesser sentence if he turns over information.
Temer stressed he did not “buy the silence of anybody” and said he was confident he could demonstrate he had “no involvement” in the allegations.
The latest twist in a country accustomed to corruption, has had an effect on the country’s finances as stocks nosedived and the currency plunged Thursday.
Temer, who has record low approval ratings, defended his government, which he said aims to get Brazil out of its worst recession in years, through austerity measures.
“The fall of the inflation, the numbers of the return of the growth and employment improvement data, created hope for better days. The optimism returned and reforms were advancing in Congress”, he said.
Temer assumed the presidency last May, replacing Dilma Rousseff after she was impeached following allegations of manipulating budgets ahead of the country’s 2014 election.
The current allegations is not new territory for Temer, who is also accused of illegally financing his campaign during the 2014 elections. He has promised to appeal if a court tries to remove him from office.
This is the second Palestinian journalist to have died by Israeli gunfire
Prime Minister Sharma Oli accepts that rebuilding after 2015 earthquake has remained sluggish
At least 41 Gazans were killed in anti-occupation rallies since last month
Some 6,500 Palestinians are currently being held in Israeli prisons
'Texas honors all the men and women who protect and serve our communities, and justice will be served,' Texas governor says
Police said the suspect, 25-year-old Alek Minassian, was not known to them before Monday's carnage in Canada's most populous city, which also left 15 people injured.
At least 41 Palestinians were martyred by Israeli gunfire on Gaza border since March 30
Talks are expected to tackle the possibility of U.S. troop withdrawal from war-torn Syria
Plans to roll out an appeals process globally in coming months came as Facebook provided a first-ever look at internal standards used to decide what posts go too far in terms of hateful or threating speech.
John Bolton led Gatestone Institute from 2013 until he took his White House position earlier this month
Attack ‘not part of a wider plot and there is no threat to national security’, says public safety minister
That vote, scheduled to take place at about 5:00 pm (2100 GMT), would not end the nomination, but would put a negative recommendation in the hands of the closely-divided full Senate -- where his approval is not guaranteed.
The company said in a message to customers that the attack was detected on January 14, at a time when the app had 14 million users in the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan and Turkey, according to the economic news website Arabian Business.
We hope everyone remains fully committed to implementation and long-term preservation, says UN under-secretary-general
Obama, who met with Mandela in 2005 and who made an emotional address at his funeral, will speak at the lecture marking 100 years since the anti-apartheid icon was born.
A total of 41 Gazans have been martyred by Israeli gunfire since March 30