World Bulletin / News Desk
NATO has reiterated its support for Turkish people as the nation marked first anniversary of the defeated coup attempt Saturday.
In a statement issued on Saturday, Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said: "I reiterate my strong message that any attempt to undermine democracy in any of our allied countries is unacceptable.”
Mentioning about his visit to Ankara in the aftermath of the coup attempt he said: “I still remember the shock I felt seeing the damage inflicted at the parliament building by the bombardments of the coup plotters.”
Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Ankara also accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary.
NATO Secretary General said: “On this important occasion, I once again pay homage to the memories of those who lost their lives during the critical hours of the coup attempt…"
Stoltenberg also paid tribute to Turkish people, who stood up against this heinous act in defense of its elected government and democratic institutions.
Two others injured in homemade bomb attack in Siirt by PKK terrorists
Prosecutors in central province of Konya issue arrest warrants for alleged ‘covert imams’ of terror group FETO
Airstrikes kill armed terrorists in northern Iraq, Turkey's Diyarbakir, Sirnak provinces
Figure is expected to increase as voting in Turkish missions to continue until Tuesday, at custom gates till election day
Patrols in line with the jointly agreed roadmap on Manbij
City was liberated from ISIL last year by Turkey’s Operation Euphrates Shield
Former HDP Co-Chairman Selahattin Demirtas has been allowed to campaign for presidential polls from behind bars on TRT
Turkish president says we are establishing mega industry zones in 5 regions of Turkey
Suspects, including 3 women, rounded up in Adana province
At least 20 people killed in twin suicide attack in northeastern Borno state
Over 3 million Turks living abroad are eligible to vote in presidential and general elections
Turkish president says there is a good chance senior PKK members were present during strike on meeting in Qandil