World Bulletin / News Desk
The United States on Saturday vehemently denied claims by Afghan officials that it had killed several civilians in an air strike in volatile eastern Afghanistan.
But United States Forces-Afghanistan said in a statement the air strike "killed a number of militants".
"The militants were observed loading weapons in to a vehicle and were under surveillance until the vehicle was destroyed by an airstrike," said Bob Purtiman, a spokesman for American operations in Afghanistan.
"The strike was conducted in the middle of open terrain. There was zero chance of civilian casualties.
"This was the second false claim of civilian casualties in the same district in the last three weeks," Purtiman added.
Of the roughly 13,000 foreign forces in Afghanistan only the US carries out airstrikes.
They have been regularly targeting IS fighters who control several districts in restive Nangarhar.
Civilian casualties caused by NATO forces have been one of the most contentious issues in the close to 16-year campaign against insurgents, prompting strong public and government criticism.
Last month a US air strike killed 16 policemen in Helmand province. It came after a US air strike in Sangin killed at least 18 civilians, mostly women and children, in February.
Civilian deaths are at an all-time high in Afghanistan. In the first half of the year, 1,662 civilians were killed and more than 3,500 injured, according to the United Nations.
Psychologists say braid-chopper who reportedly targets women is figment of imagination of people struck by conflict
Suicide attack at Kabul mosque kills at least 22, while bombing in central Ghor takes some 50 lives
Philippines' military begins pulling out troops from Marawi
Russian navy ships part of military cooperation between two countries.
Vows to enforce the law equally to protect people and the republic
US diplomatic cables become new evidence of 1965 mass killing in Indonesia
In two back to back suicide attacks aimed at the Shia community mosques in Afghanistan on Friday, close to 59 people were killed, officials have confirmed.
The group were among 11 employees of a state-run transport company, including bus drivers and cleaners, who were sleeping in the 60-year-old, two storey office block near a bus depo when a portion of it caved in.
Third corruption case involving Nawaz Sharif is related to ownership and partnership in several offshore companies
The EU can lead the drug war if they think they can solve the country’s drug problem
Almost 60 percent of latest Rohingya Muslim arrivals in Bangladesh are children, UNICEF report says
Firework use hits a peak across India during the Hindu festival but New Delhi authorities have tried to restrict sales to tackle mounting pollution.
Pyongyang taunts Washington over strategic assets currently in South Korea
Estimated cost of damage to agriculture, infrastructure in southern Zamboanga city reaches PHP65.97 million ($1.3 million)
Ankara, Seoul consider each other brothers thanks to Turkish soldiers’ dedication during war, says Turkey's ambassador
The conference will discuss issues on labor and employment in the region’s growing economic integration.