World Bulletin / News Desk
- Ihram: Pilgrims wear special outfits, which for men is a two-piece white seamless garment. Women wear loose dress, generally white, with only the face and hands exposed. During this period, pilgrims must abstain from sex and quarrelling, not use perfume and not cut their hair or nails.
- Once in Mecca, pilgrims perform Tawaf, or circumambulation, seven times counter-clockwise, around the Kaaba, a black masonry cube in the centre of the Grand Mosque.
- Pilgrims then walk seven times between two stone spots at the mosque, emulating a search for water by Ibrahim's wife Hagar in a ritual known as Sa'i.
These rituals are considered the umra, or lesser pilgrimage, and come ahead of the hajj's main rites when pilgrims head to Mina, around five kilometres (three miles) east of the Grand Mosque.
- The next day, pilgrims gather on the hill known as Jabal al-Rahma (Mount of Mercy) and the surrounding Mount Arafat plain, 10 kilometres southeast of Mina, where they remain until evening for prayer and to read the Koran.
- Stoning the 'devil' -
- After sunset, pilgrims leave for Muzdalifah, half-way between Arafat and Mina, where they stay at least until midnight. They gather pebbles to perform the symbolic "stoning of the devil".
- At the start of the Eid al-Adha feast, pilgrims return to Mina for the first of three daily stoning rites. Traditionally, seven pebbles are thrown at a post representing the devil, emulating the actions of Abraham.
Since 2004, it has been replaced by walls to accommodate the rising numbers of pilgrims and to try to avoid a repeat of deadly crushes at the site.
- After the first stoning, sheep are slaughtered and the meat distributed to needy Muslims, symbolising Abraham's willingness to sacrifice his son Ishmael on the order of God, who provided a lamb in the boy's place at the last moment.
- Men then shave their heads or trim their hair while women cut a fingertip-length of their locks. After that they can end their ihram and change back into normal clothing.
- They then return to the Grand Mosque in Mecca, circumambulating seven times around the Kaaba, and again performing Sa'i.
- The pilgrims then return to Mina to continue the stoning ritual for two or three more days.
- Finally, they return to the Grand Mosque, circumambulating the Kaaba seven times.
The International Monetary Fund was going to be "attentive" to the consequences of the reform, which notably includes a sharply lower corporate tax rate, she told French radio station France Inter.
The Sinai operation comes one month before the country’s presidential election
In a vote expected to be tight, the more than 460,000 members of the deeply divided centre-left SPD will cast their ballots on a plan to enter a new coalition as junior partners to Merkel's conservatives.
Army uses live ammunition, rubber bullets to disperse stone-throwing Palestinians in West Bank, Gaza
Erdogan says Turkish military advanced 300 square kilometres during Operation Olive Branch
Thousands of African migrants are facing the risk of being forcibly deported from Israel
The indictments detailed a stunning operation launched in 2014 in a bid to sow social division in the United States and influence American politics "including the presidential election of 2016".
Presidential spokesman says US should start process of disengaging from YPG
"Deal of the Century" refers to a back-channel U.S. plan to settle the Palestine-Israel dispute
The capital Pristina is covered in the blue-and-yellow Kosovan flag for a weekend of festivities, with Kosovo-born British pop star Rita Ora due to headline a concert in the main square on Saturday night.
Interior Minister Alfonso Navarrete and Alejandro Murat, governor of the state of Oaxaca, were on their way to survey the scene of the destruction left by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake when the accident occurred, the interior ministry tweeted.
The arrival of Trump and his wife Melania came at the end of a difficult day for the families of those killed in Wednesday's rampage at a high school in Parkland, Florida, who learned that the carnage could perhaps have been averted.
In a speech at the Munich Security Conference, she acknowledged that no deal currently exists between the EU and a third country "that captures the full depth and breadth of our existing relationship".
3 suicide bombers attacked crowded market in Borno State, police say
Moon last week received an invitation from the North's leader Kim Jong Un for a summit in Pyongyang. The invitation was extended by his younger sister Kim Yo Jong, who visited as part of a high-level delegation to attend the Winter Games in the South.
Syria Kurdish Future Movement leader says YPG established Baath regime-like dictatorship