World Bulletin / News Desk
Swiss pharmaceutical giant Novartis on Tuesday announced $100 million of funding over the next five years for research into new treatments for malaria, a mosquito-borne disease with a devastating impact that killed 445,000 people in 2016.
Around 90 percent of the 445,000 of malaria-related deaths occurred in Africa, but people in southeast Asia, the eastern Mediterranean, the western Pacific and the Americas are also considered at risk.
In a bid to redress the disproportionate burden carried by African countries, Novartis said it would establish a strategy aimed at ensuring equitable pricing.
In a statement, the company also said it would "further help expand access" to treatment for children with malaria.
Novartis's announcement came as Senegal hosted a pan-African conference this week on the fight against malaria.
Deaths from malaria dropped by over 60 percent from 2000 to 2015, but because of growing resistance to available treatments and insecticides, there is a risk that the progress made so far may be slowed.
"Resistance to treatment presents the biggest threat to the incredible progress that has been made in the fight against malaria in the past 20 years," Novartis CEO Vas Narasimhan said.
"We cannot afford to wait; this is why we are committing to advance the research and development of next-generation treatments," he added.
Volunteer Turkish doctors offer surgery for thyroids, hernias, breast lumps, and gastric ulcers, among other conditions
The annual State of the Climate Report, compiled by more than 450 scientists from over 60 countries, describes worsening climate conditions worldwide in 2017, the same year that US President Donald Trump pulled out of the landmark Paris climate deal.
UN Children’s Fund attributes mounting cholera death toll to ‘ailing health system, ongoing conflict’
160-day trek to raise awareness about plight of African elephant
Muhammed Jaiteh came to Turkey in 2006 to study medicine and now aims to serve his home country
Dr. Mehmet Oz examines children who were affected by bombings
Health Department reports total of 1,040 cases nationwide, up 60 pct from same period last year
Event will be held in Mediterranean province of Antalya from Oct. 17-21
'Protecting human rights is key to responding to the Ebola outbreak,' HRW says
World Health Organization and Public Health Ministry on May 8 announced confirmed cases of Ebola in the country
Ebola outbreak in Democratic Republic of Congo is a 'wake-up call,' says head of West African Health Organization