World Bulletin / News Desk
A court on Thursday sentenced 47 Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) convicts to life imprisonment for their involvement in the July 2016 defeated coup, according to a judicial source.
The 13th High Criminal Court in capital Ankara handed down aggravated life sentences to 27 FETO convicts -- including former major general and brigadier general -- while 20 other members were given life terms for violation of the constitutional order, the source, who asked not to be named due to restrictions on speaking to the media, said.
The court also gave 217 FETO convicts jail terms ranging from 12 years to 20 years for "providing support to violate the constitutional order".
They were all convicted for their activities at the 58th Artillery Brigade Command and Artillery and Missile School Command in Ankara during the defeated coup.
Additionally, the court released 64 suspects, including 63 soldiers, a colonel and a civil servant.
According to the government, FETO and its U.S.-based leader Fetullah Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Ankara also accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary.
Turkish president meets Iraqi premier in capital Ankara
European Bank for Reconstruction and Development’s cumulative investment in Turkey reached nearly $12.2 billion
61 people joined PKK terrorist group, 91 terrorists surrendered so far this year, says Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu
'We stand with our state and our people,' say Turk Telekom and Turkish Airlines amid row with US, joining ad boycott
If US wants to continue as reputable country, it cannot do so with these impositions, says Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
Central Bank decisions stop speculative attacks, says Denizbank CEO Hakan Ates
Battered by Turkish military and betrayed by onetime accomplices, PKK terrorists starting to turn on each other
President Erdogan said, "We will boycott the US's electronic products."
Turkey's Treasury and Finance Minister Berat Albayrak will address foreign investors on Aug. 16.
Turkish industry and technology minister says support package to reduce current account deficit
Erdogan, Al-Thani discuss bilateral ties and regional issues
Treasury Undersecretariat holds 2 auctions for government bonds
Trade volume between 2 countries is 37.7 billion euros, says spokeswoman of Germany’s Ministry for Economic Affairs
Despite economic 'siege' on Turkish economy, it boasts strong dynamics, says President Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Politicians, who act in good faith, will strengthen Turkish people's confidence in bilateral ties, Berat Albayrak says
'Nobody should trust speculative news and actions,' Ibrahim Kalin tweets