World Bulletin/News Desk
The Philippines will spend 170 billion pesos ($3.89 billion) to rehouse some 200,000 families displaced by last year's super typhoon Haiyan that killed 6,100 people, the government said in a masterplan released on Friday.
It has taken a startling nine months to hammer out the plan because crippling bureaucracy entailed lengthy vetting, say government consultants, and sparse technical data on geological hazards and land use plans held up relocation decisions.
Thousands of displaced families remain in makeshift tents or substandard temporary shelter areas, but all-out reconstruction will begin soon after President Benigno Aquino approves the plan, although it is not clear when this will happen.
"We are confident the rehabilitation efforts will now shift to high gear," said Panfilo Lacson, presidential assistant for rehabilitation and recovery.
"We are hoping to achieve at least 80 percent completion of these priority projects before the end of the president's term," he added. Aquino's term runs until June 2016.
About a million homeowners will also receive shelter assistance under the plan for houses that were either destroyed or partially damaged, said Lacson, a former senator.
The effort will also help build sturdier government facilities, such as schools and evacuation centres, besides providing livelihood and training assistance for farmers, fishermen and those who raise livestock.
Lacson said the budget department had made available about 137 billion pesos this year, with the rest to be released in next year's budget, and promised transparency in project funding.
The slow pace of government reconstruction work has attracted criticism.
"It's alarming that as the typhoon season starts, we still see tents in Tacloban," said Prospero de Vera, a professor of public administration at the University of the Philippines.
Tacloban, the main city on the Philippines' central island of Leyte, was a wasteland after Haiyan destroyed about 80 percent of houses made of light materials, and is slowly returning to life.
"The normalcy in the lives of the people has not returned until now in Tacloban, and that is the biggest disaster of all," added De Vera.
By July, Manila had released more than 35 billion pesos in aid after Haiyan, the budget department has said, spent on food and temporary shelter areas for displaced families, as well as to rebuild some public buildings.
But that amount is just a drop in the bucket, with state funds and loans from lenders such as the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank and bilateral sources committed to typhoon rehabilitation reaching at least $4 billion.
Haiyan, one of the strongest typhoons to ever hit land, tore through the central Philippines last November, reducing most of what was in its path to rubble in tsunami-like surges and driving nearly 4 million people from their homes.
The pace of government reconstruction slowed after Aquino last year abolished congressional allocations, called "pork barrel" funds, because bureaucrats were too careful in signing contracts.
Last month, the Supreme Court declared illegal the president's stimulus fund, prompting impeachment cases to be filed against Aquino in the wake of the decision.
The plane was on its way from an air force base in Medan to the remote Natuna islands and crashed a few minutes after takeoff.
The western Indonesian community of Aceh housing Rohingya boat people launches petition demanding president cut all ties.
An earthquake measuring 5.7 has struck the Hindu Kush of Afghanistan.
The US will lift holds on security assistance to Bahrains Defence Force
A Muslim man was beaten by Hindu extremists, then paraded by the extremists and then arrested by police.
A new app designed to help Muslim visitors find mosques, hotels, shopping centers with prayer rooms, halal restaurants
Russian FM will travel to Vienna to discuss the nuclear talks, fighting ISIL with US
The number of criminal cases handed over to the police by environmental protection departments in 2014 reached 2,080, twice the total number during the previous decade.
Using just mobile phones, Indian villagers have found a platform to report their own problems without mainstream media
China has arrested Wu Gan a human rights activist who has according to China, "incited subversion of state power".
The convoy of army soldiers was attacked by suspected Taliban members in Masjid Chobi locality of Karrulh district on Sunday night.
A young woman died on Monday, the first fatality among nearly 500 casualties from a weekend blaze at a Taiwan water park, officials said.
The European Union is set to broaden its ties with China, as China moves to make investments in the European Union.
Vice president of world's most populous Muslim nation initiates new team to tackle mosque loudspeaker volume
Flammable powder used during performance at party reported to have exploded sending ball of flame through air
South Korea's Middle East Respiratory Syndrome death toll rises to 32, but infection rate continues to slow