World Bulletin / News Desk
On the eve of the first anniversary of the deadly July 15 coup attempt in Turkey, the country's justice minister urged the U.S. and EU to heed its warnings about the threat of FETO, the group behind the coup bid.
Bekir Bozdag warned that if the U.S. and EU states fail to take seriously Turkey's justified warnings of FETO being a national security threat to all states they are active in, "In 20 years time, they will face more serious burdens than Turkey did, and they will regret not listening to Turks."
Bozdag was addressing local and foreign journalists in the capital Ankara at an event commemorating last year's coup, which was committed by the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen.
The FETO network plotted to overthrow the government as the culmination of a long-running campaign to infiltrate the country’s institutions, including the military, police, and judiciary. The network has similarly infiltrated institutions such as the educational system in other countries.
In Turkey, at least 250 people were martyred and 2,193 others injured in the July 15, 2016 coup attempt.
Bozdag strongly rejected allegations by some media outlets that the coup had been "controlled” by the state, calling them part of a “well-planned dirty misinformation campaign."
He called on all countries to be fair and objective towards Turkey.
Stressing the rule of law in Turkey, Bozdag added that there are “no different rules for the putschists or other citizens."
He also said that hearings on the coup-plotters are being held publicly and the case files are open to everyone.
About the extradition of FETO members, including Gulen, who lives in self-exile in Pennsylvania, Bozdag argued that both the U.S. and European countries have failed to take necessary steps.
"I want to clearly say that what Osama bin Laden was for the United States and for European people, Fetullah Gulen means the same for Turkey and Turkish people," he explained.
Ismail Kahraman says terrorist YPG/PKK ambitions in Afrin, northwestern Syria 'came to naught'
Hasan Celal Guzel, 73, passed away in Ankara on Monday while undergoing medical treatment
YPG/PKK terrorists attack guardhouse in southeastern Sanliurfa; Turkish military retaliates
‘If we are strategic partners, then you will respect us,’ says Turkish president
Suspects arrested in Ankara were plotting terrorist attack ahead of spring festival of Nevruz, police source says
Operation to nab suspects has been launched in 18 cities as part of ongoing FETO probe
Emirati foreign minister's remarks have not been made 'with good intention': Turkish Foreign Ministry spokesman
Bekir Bozdag says Afrin civilians unharmed; water, medicine, food supply not prevented during Operation Olive Branch
Operation to go on until terror corridor - Manbij, Ayn al-Arab, Tell Abyad, Ras al-Ayn, Qamishli - is wiped out: President
Disaster and Emergency Management Authority, Turkey's Red Crescent distribute hot meals, food packets in Afrin villages
Culture and tourism minister says Turkey's ongoing Afrin operation will not affect tourism
Ibrahim Kalin says there is still work to do in Afrin, where Turkish troops and Syrian fighters took control on Sunday
20 Pakistanis in truck in Edirne province close to Greek border held by gendarmes
13 terrorists killed, 2 captured, 6 surrendered on March 12-19, says Interior Ministry
Hasan Celal Guzel passes away in hospital in Ankara where he was receiving treatment
Event marked historic 1915 victory and told American public about Turkey, says head of Yunus Emre Institute in the US