World Bulletin / News Desk
Eight dead Palestinians are among 106 defendants referred earlier on Saturday by an Egyptian court to Egypt's top religious authority to consider death sentences against them on jailbreak charges, a senior security official from the Gaza Strip has said.
The court referred 106 people, including ousted President Mohamed Morsi, to the grand mufti on charges of taking part in a mass jailbreak during the 2011 uprising that ousted longstanding President Hosni Mubarak.
Deputy Minister of the Interior in Gaza, Kamel Abu Madi told Anadolu Agency that eight dead Palestinians were among those referred to the mufti.
Three of those eight were killed before the events of January 2011, and the remaining five were killed afterwards, Abu Madi said.
The list includes Raed al-Attar, a member of the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, Hamas' armed wing, who was killed in an Israeli attack in August 2014, he added.
He noted that in the list is also Hossam al-Sanae, a member of Islamic Jihad group who was killed in an Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip in 2008.
The list also includes Tayseer Abu Sneima, Mohamed Samir Abu Lebda and Mohamed Khalil Abu Shawesh, who were killed in 2011, 2005 and 2007 respectively, Abu Madi said.
He added that among the defendants is also Hassan Salama, a Palestinian prisoner who has been serving a life sentence in Israel since 1996.
"This [court verdict] is a fabrication," Salama's brother, Akram, told Anadolu Agency.
"My brother has been imprisoned in Israel since 1996," he added.
He said Egyptian intelligence agents had met his brother inside an Israeli prison during negotiations on a prisoner swap deal between Palestinians and Israel.
In 2011, Egypt brokered a prisoner swap deal between Israel and Palestinians under which the former freed 1,027 prisoners in exchange for captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, who was taken hostage by Hamas in 2006.