World Bulletin/News Desk
A court in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Tuesday sentenced three people – two locals and a Qatari national – to prison for raising funds for a "secret outlawed group," local media said, in reference to the Muslim Brotherhood.
The Federal Supreme Court, verdicts of which cannot be appealed, sentenced two UAE citizens, Abdel-Wahed al-Badi and Said Abdullah, to five years each in prison, while acquitting a third, Taher al-Tamimi.
A Qatari national, identified as Mahmoud al-Jaida, meanwhile, was slapped with a seven-year jail term. Under the court ruling, he will be deported after serving out his sentence.
The defendants were convicted of morally and financially supporting a "secret, outlawed group" – a term commonly used by UAE authorities to refer to the Muslim Brotherhood.
In January, 30 UAE citizens and Egyptian nationals were sentenced to jail terms ranging from three months to five years each for forming an illegal branch of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood in the emirates.
According to judicial sources, the verdicts delivered by the Federal Supreme Court in Abu Dhabi against the defendants – 20 Egyptians and ten Emiratis – are final and cannot be appealed.
Defendants were also fined $830 each.
The ruling stipulates that the Egyptian convicts, six of whom were tried in absentia, should be deported from the country after serving out their sentences.
The men were charged with establishing an "illegal branch of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood in the UAE and stealing confidential documents from the security services."
The defendants denied all the charges against them, saying they had been tortured in detention.
Syrian Democratic Forces units start an operation to liberate northern Raqqa province
'The T4 air base was severely damaged by an ISIL artillery attack. In particular, four Russian Mi-24 attack helicopters appear to have been destroyed,' a report says
State Comptroller Yosef Shapira is tasked with overseeing the use of public funds, and investigating allegations of double billing of flights by Netanyahu
The two countries set to conduct another round of talks on organising this year's pilgrimage for Iranians
Ban Ki-moon called situation in Syria 'heartbreaking' at World Humanitarian Summit
US envoy Michael Ratney calls on Syrian opposition groups to respect the truce despite Assad regime's violations
The Moscow-proposed move aims to 'stabilise the situation' in the areas
Saudi embassy in Ankara rejects claims that Iranian nationals were being hindered from taking part in Hajj pilgrimage
More than 300 UNRWA-run schools 'across the region have been impacted, attacked or otherwise rendered inoperable by conflict or violence in the last five years'
'The bilateral agreement to develop the Chabahar port and related infrastructure, and availability of about $500 million from India for this purpose, is an important milestone,' Indian PM says
Proposals to apply death penalty in ‘terrorism’ cases may only be used against Palestinians, Israeli media reports
Benjamin Netanyahu offers to hold direct talks with the Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas in Paris
The extremist group takes responsibility for attacks in Syria and Yemen that killed more that 150 people
'A joint meeting between the two delegations to the Yemen peace talks has started in the morning,' UN envoy says
A monitor says the air strikes targeted Castello road, which was still open but dangerous
A monitor says four blasts, at least one of them a suicide attack, hit the coastal city of Jableh