World Bulletin / News Desk
The Anadolu Agency video of the war-torn city -- once Syria’s most populous with 2.3 million inhabitants and the country’s industrial and financial heart -- pictured buildings in the northern district of Tariq al-Bab largely reduced to hollow shells.
The neighborhood, which has been controlled by Free Syrian Army since 2012, was filmed on Thursday and the 2 minute 13 second video shows block after block of ravaged buildings. Despite the destruction, many residents can be seen going about their daily business and vehicles are visible on the streets.
The city has been a key site in the battles between opposition forces and regime troops backed by Russia. Around 275,000 people are currently under siege in the city, which dates back at least 4,000 years and is one of the world’s oldest continually inhabited cities.
The level of destruction, much of it caused by Syrian and Russian airstrikes, caused Staffan de Mistura, the UN special envoy to Syria, to warn on Thursday that Aleppo would be destroyed by the end of the year with thousands more civilian deaths.
“No one can deny that we are in an emergency mode regarding Syria, Aleppo and future of the conflict,” he told reporters in Geneva.
He called on an estimated 900 fighters from Fatah al-Sham Front, previously known as Nusra Front and considered a terrorist group by the UN, to leave eastern Aleppo. He said around 8,000 opposition fighters were resisting regime forces in the city.
Among the civilian population are an estimated 100,000 children. The death toll for the conflict has been estimated at more than 470,000 by the Syrian Center for Policy Research, a Beirut-based nongovernmental organization.
"It's regrettable that the citizens of the countries on the list have never participated in any act of terrorism against the US and yet they are being punished for acts of terrorism by citizens of other countries which are not on the list," said Zarif.
"We consider such threats against the Syrian leadership to be unacceptable," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told journalists.
The White House said the preparations were similar to those undertaken by the Assad regime ahead of an apparent chemical attack on a rebel-held town in April.
Since suffering stroke in 2014, Khalifa bin Zayed Al-Nahyan has largely avoided state functions and public activities
"The disagreement with Qatar is a political and security dispute and has never been military," Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed al-Khalifa said on Twitter.
Netanyahu's cabinet voted Sunday to back out of the hard-won deal, provoking a flood of criticism and warnings it could damage Israel's relationship with the United States' influential Jewish community.
After Arab states arrayed against Qatar issue 13-point list of demands, resolution of crisis looks more distant than ever
Israel says it hits Syrian targets after projectiles fired from Syria landed on its territories
Women and men currently must pray separately at Jerusalem's Western Wall under strict interpretation of Jewish law.
Presidency pardons more than 1,000 prisoners for Muslim Eid al-Fitr holiday
Media reports it advised Saudi citizens to avoid travelling to Turkey ‘baseless’, embassy says
Israeli military terms its attack in Syria 'a retaliatory' move to allegedly stop rocket attacks from Syria
Abdel Fattah al-Sisi ratifies transfer of two Red Sea islands to Saudi sovereignty
Opposition party leader says US efforts over Israeli-Palestinian peace processes will fail
More than 200,000 suspected cholera cases have been reported in Yemen