World Bulletin / News Desk
Palestinian group Hamas said it held “positive” talks with Egyptian officials during a recent visit to Cairo.
Senior Hamas leader Moussa Abu Marzouq had arrived in Cairo from Qatar for talks with Egyptian officials, Hamas spokesman Hazem Qasim said.
“He held positive talks regarding Palestinian developments, bilateral relations and [inter-Palestinian] reconciliation,” Qasim told Anadolu Agency on Friday.
He said the talks also tackled the issue of the Rafah border crossing between the blockaded Gaza Strip and Egypt.
In recent years, Egyptian authorities have kept the crossing, which represents the Palestinian territory’s only point of access to the outside world not under Israeli control, mostly sealed.
The spokesman said the visit was part of continuous meetings between Hamas and Egypt.
There was no comment from Egyptian authorities on the Hamas official’s visit.
Relations between Egypt and Hamas have strained since the Egyptian military deposed former president Mohamed Morsi in a 2013 coup.
Egyptian media accuse Hamas of involvement in a spate of militant attacks in Sinai, a claim denied by the Palestinian group.
Foreign Ministry urges Israel not to change status quo of Al-Aqsa complex so it is accessible to all Muslims
President of the World Association of Muslim Scholars Yusuf al-Qaradavi stated that Jerusalem deals with not only the Palestinians but the entire Islamic ummah.
At least 5 Hezbollah, 17 opposition fighters reported killed
Israel criticized for ‘disproportionate’ force against Palestinians
12 militants’ vehicles destroyed, including four rigged with bombs
Israeli settlers killed in alleged stabbing attack in occupied West Bank, amid backdrop of Al-Aqsa turmoil
Qatari emir thanks Turkey for its support during crisis, says the plot against his country was pre-planned
Security measures by Israel trigger protests, with 3 Palestinians killed and nearly 400 injured
Sergey Lavrov says 'main parameters' on southern zone already agreed
UN spokesman says 1,140 children have been killed since 2015
The attack on Tuesday in the Mawza district of the southwestern province of Taez killed at least 20 people, including four children, according to residents.
Ayman Safadi urges international community to help ease tense situation
Kuwait also ordered the closure of the Iranian "military, cultural and trade" missions, said the government official, who asked not to be named.
Viral videos show Saudi prince physically and verbally assaulting at least 4 residents in capital Riyadh
Last week, Iraq formally declared victory over ISIL in Mosul