World Bulletin / News Desk
Two Philippine soldiers and two communist rebels have been killed in a recent encounter that also left 15 troops wounded in the country’s troubled south, according to the military Friday.
Army spokesman Maj. Esra Balagtey told Anadolu Agency in an email that a clash took place on the outskirts of Davao City -- the hometown of President Rodrigo Duterte -- after troops pursuing rebels ran into a landmine Wednesday afternoon.
The violence comes two weeks after the New People’s Army (NPA) -- the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) -- and the government called off unilateral cease-fires declared last year.
Balagtey said Friday that 3rd Infantry Battalion troops were pursuing armed men accused of burning a pineapple harvester owned by Del Monte Co. when they ran into a landmine reportedly set up by the NPA.
The blast killed two soldiers and wounded 15 others.
Two rebels were killed in a subsequent firefight, after which two firearms, two explosives and landmine-making material were recovered, according to the military.
In a Feb. 1 statement, the NPA withdrew its unilateral cease-fire, citing the Duterte administration's “failure” to release all political prisoners and the military's alleged encroachment on territory under the group’s control.
NPA spokesperson Ka Oris, however, said the group would continue to support peace negotiations between the government and the National Democratic Front (NDF), the CPP’s political arm.
Duterte later announced the end of the government’s cease-fire and told authorities to get released NDF political prisoners who attended recent talks in Norway and Rome back in prison.
The government was supposed to resume formal peace talks with the NDF representatives this April in Oslo.
The insurgency has been running since 1968. It has claimed 30,000 lives, according to the military, and stagnated development.
Muslim political organization Jamiat-e-Ulema cancels annual Eid celebration
Pro-democracy activists including high-profile student campaigner Joshua Wong draped a black flag over a statue symbolising Hong Kong's return to China in an early morning act of defiance.
US Pentagon chief Jim Mattis has labelled North Korea as "the most urgent and dangerous threat" while Trump has made halting Pyongyang's weapons programme a top foreign policy priority.
The defendants pleaded guilty and 16 were given nine- and 10-month sentences, which include time served since they were arrested in October, meaning they could be released over the next two months.
Military says it has taken action against more than 400 personnel over use of child soldiers
The burnings, to mark the UN's world anti-drugs day, follow another year of record seizures of narcotics from the remote borderlands of Myanmar, Laos, southern China and northern Thailand.
Thousands of emergency workers have been digging through rocks and earth since Saturday when a landslide entombed 62 homes in Xinmo, a mountain village in Sichuan province.
The gondola lift at Gulmarg claims to be the world's highest, ferrying passengers to a height of 4,100 metres (13,450 feet) for panoramic views of the snow-clad Himalayas.
The Airbus A330 from Perth to Kuala Lumpur experienced problems about 90 minutes into the journey.
Tokyo's moves aim to minimise Brexit's impact on Japanese companies as Britain negotiates its exit from the EU, the business daily Nikkei reported.
More than seven million people voted on June 4, testing the political temperature of a country rife with tension between Prime Minister Hun Sen and an embattled opposition determined to end his more than three-decade rule.
Oil tanker catches fire after overturning on national highway
Police shoot dead 1 of 2 attacks after officer stabbed
8-hour cease-fire could be immediately lifted if safety of troops, civilians threatened
The accord signed in 2015 aimed at curbing separatist uprisings in Mali's north after a 2012 rebellion was hijacked by jihadists, throwing the nation into chaos.