World Bulletin / News Desk
A group of Filipino fishermen have accused China's coast guard of shooting at their vessel in disputed South China Sea waters, Philippine authorities said Friday.
There were no casualties during the incident, authorities added.
"(Princess Johann) was reportedly fired upon seven times by a Chinese speedboat with seven Chinese coast guards on board," a Philippine Coast Guard statement said.
The armed speedboat approached the Filipino vessel after it dropped anchor about 3.7 kilometres (two nautical miles) off the Chinese side of the Union Banks atoll, it said.
"The crew hid and eventually cut their anchor line and fled the area," the statement added.
Representatives at the Chinese embassy in Manila could not be reached for comment Friday.
If confirmed the incident would be the first hostile episode in nearly a year involving the two countries, which have seen warming relations since Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte was elected in mid-2016.
Both the Philippine coast guard and military are investigating the incident.
"(The Union Banks) is located inside the Philippines' exclusive economic zone," military spokesman Brigadier-General Restituto Padilla said.
The UN Convention on the Law of the Sea grants coastal states exclusive rights to develop and exploit natural resources in the waters that extend up to 370 kilometres off their coasts.
But China claims most of the South China Sea and in recent years has been building up disputed reefs into artificial islands that can house military facilities.
Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim the Spratlys either wholly or in part.
Reversing the course set by predecessor Benigno Aquino, Duterte has sought to improve his nation's relations with Beijing by adopting a non-confrontational approach over their competing claims in the strategically vital waters.
Since then, Duterte said China has allowed Filipinos to fish in waters around the Scarborough Shoal, another outcrop in the South China Sea that Beijing seized in 2012 after a stand-off with the Philippine Navy.
Officials in Quetta said the number of dead had risen by one to 14 after a blast in the southwestern city which targeted police. Ten policemen were among those killed.
The protest came as South Korea's new president Moon Jae-In heads to Washington next week for his first summit with Trump amid soaring tensions over Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions.
Troops working to identify bodies of Maute fighters
"A North Korean soldier defected to one of our Guard Posts at around 9:30 p.m. on Friday at the middle section of the border," the spokesman said, according to a report by the Yonhap news agency.
Seoul counters flurry of North Korean missile tests with own experiment
The first such lynching in Kashmir is condemned by Kashmir resistance leader, calling it 'un-Islamic'
Rebuffing Russian media reports, Astana says it contributes to Syrian settlement via providing talks
Security forces say Quetta car bomb exploded near provincial police HQ
Men killed during two-day clearance operation near border with Bangladesh, according to Office of State Counselor
Terrorist gang led by brothers attempting to establish ISIL territory in Mindanao, government says
Group behind last July's attempted putsch in Turkey also poses danger to Japan, Mevlut Cavusoglu says
Kabul says it was not consulted, fencing will divide tribes living at the Durand Line
Mevlut Cavusoglu meets representatives of business and tourism sectors
Scholarships will be granted over the next ten years, Chinese foreign minister says
Number of oppressed Rohingya refugees rose over 30,000 since the previous year, says report