World Bulletin / News Desk
The European Union Thursday said telecom company Altice breached EU rules by prematurely taking over Portugal Telecom (PT) without full clearance from regulators.
Netherlands-listed Altice, which is owned by French-Israeli billionaire Patrick Drahi, said it "does not agree with the European Commission’s preliminary conclusions and will submit a full response... and contest all the objections."
Altice announced its planned purchase of the Portuguese company from Brazil's Oi in December 2014 for 7.4 billion euros.
It notified the EC, which oversees the bloc's competition rules, the following February, getting approval for the transaction in April 2015.
In its statement Thursday, the EC said Altice had "implemented the acquisition prior to the adoption of the Commission's clearance decision, and in some instances, prior to its notification."
It added Altice was in a "position to exercise decisive influence over PT Portugal before notification or clearance of the transaction".
Thursday's announcement will not affect regulatory approval granted for the transaction in April 2015, the Commission said.
His speech capped a nostalgic visit for the 33-year-old billionaire, which included a visit to his old dorm room.
Simeonov, 62, is co-leader of the United Patriots (UP), the junior party in the governing coalition.
US leader hints at prosecutions over American leaking of sensitive information about suicide bombing in UK
The ministry's Rapid Response Division is one of two special forces units heading up the operation to recapture Mosul, which is backed by a United States-led anti-ISIL coalition.
Tbilisi court says process for school principal’s extradition to Turkey has started
US president slams member states over inadequate defense spending, urges them to raise their contributions
Residents of southeastern Africa nation once had to rely on foreign Muslim channels, but now have one of their own
Last week Third Force fighters attacked Brak al-Shati airbase, also in southern Libya, which is controlled by Haftar forces, killing 140 people, including civilians.
Human Rights Watch said in a statement the "rush" to kill the men "smacks of militia rule, not the rule of law".
An economist by training, Papademos was Bank of Greece governor from 1994 to 2002, and European Central Bank governor vice president from 2002 to 2010.
The government has denied the allegations and says it wants to remove advantages enjoyed by some foreign-based institutions.
Tusk, along with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker, also argued for the benefits of open trade and the Paris climate agreement that Trump is opposed to.
Here is what we know so far about Monday's attack, the deadliest in Britain since 2005.
Judges in the capital Addis Ababa imposed a jail sentence of six years and six months on Yonatan Tesfaye, the former spokesman for the opposition Blue Party who was found guilty earlier this month of encouraging terrorism.
Attack increases May death toll of police patrolling Somali border to 20, suspected victims of al-Shabaab attacks
Two people were found dead in the town of Kansk in Russia's Siberian Krasnoyarsk region, according to investigators in the region, who said a fire spread in the area due to hot weather and strong wind.