World Bulletin / News Desk
Nigeria's government has admitted that over 50 percent of aid sent to people displaced because of Boko Haram was being diverted.
In a statement late Saturday, presidential spokesman Laolu Akande said a government panel had been set up to end the diversions.
"According to the update presented by the implementation team, the issue of diversion of relief materials, including food and related matters, which has dogged food delivery to the IDPs [internally displaced persons] would be significantly curbed under the new distribution matrix adopted under the initiative," Akande said.
"For instance, over 1,000 trucks of assorted grains are now on course, delivering the grains intact to beneficiaries since the commencement of the present program as against the reported diversion of over 50 trucks for every 100 trucks sent to the North-East," he added.
This marks the first time the government officially admits the stealing of relief materials meant for Boko Haram victims, allegedly by officials in charge of the supplies, even though several civil society groups have published reports on it.
Legal Notice: Copyright, trade marks and other intellectual property rights in this website can not be reproduced without the prior permission.