World Bulletin / News Desk
Whether the Quebec City region will get its first cemetery owned and operated by Muslims will be decided Sunday by 49 people in a referendum.
The land for the cemetery was purchased in February and the project was approved May 1 by the municipal council in the small town of Saint-Apollinaire that has a population of just 6,000 residents.
But an objection was raised and 17 people signed a petition to hold a referendum on the issue. The referendum meant the 49, who would become neighbors of the proposed cemetery, must approve it by a simple majority in Sunday’s vote, Canadian media reported.
The initiative began last October by the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec. But the project gained momentum after six Muslims were killed in January while at prayer in a Quebec City mosque and it was realized the closest Muslim cemetery was 250 kilometers (155 miles) away, north of Montreal.
Sunny Letourneau, head of the group opposing the project, wants the land to become a multi-confessional cemetery – for all faiths – with separate plots for Islamic burials, Canadian media reported.
But a spokesperson for the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec, said the organization wanted the security that comes with owning the land.
“When you have land like that you own, families have a plot for eternity, Mohamed Kesri told the Canadian Press.
A cemetery in Quebec City was inaugurated July 9, with more than 500 plots set aside in an existing cemetery for Muslims.
Kesri said, however, the majority of Muslims want to know their loved ones will be buried in a cemetery owned by those of the Islamic faith in perpetuity, with all Islamic rights and customs followed.
Police said the suspect, 25-year-old Alek Minassian, was not known to them before Monday's carnage in Canada's most populous city, which also left 15 people injured.
At least 41 Palestinians were martyred by Israeli gunfire on Gaza border since March 30
Talks are expected to tackle the possibility of U.S. troop withdrawal from war-torn Syria
Plans to roll out an appeals process globally in coming months came as Facebook provided a first-ever look at internal standards used to decide what posts go too far in terms of hateful or threating speech.
John Bolton led Gatestone Institute from 2013 until he took his White House position earlier this month
Attack ‘not part of a wider plot and there is no threat to national security’, says public safety minister
That vote, scheduled to take place at about 5:00 pm (2100 GMT), would not end the nomination, but would put a negative recommendation in the hands of the closely-divided full Senate -- where his approval is not guaranteed.
The company said in a message to customers that the attack was detected on January 14, at a time when the app had 14 million users in the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan and Turkey, according to the economic news website Arabian Business.
We hope everyone remains fully committed to implementation and long-term preservation, says UN under-secretary-general
Obama, who met with Mandela in 2005 and who made an emotional address at his funeral, will speak at the lecture marking 100 years since the anti-apartheid icon was born.
A total of 41 Gazans have been martyred by Israeli gunfire since March 30
On Thursday, Iraqi F-16 fighter jets struck ISIL positions in Syria
On Thursday, Iraqi F-16 fighter jets struck ISIL locations in neighboring Syria
Turkish Historical Society head cites research from past wars
Palestinian president stresses on 2-state solution to conflict, calls East Jerusalem capital