World Bulletin / News Desk
The German aid group Sea Eye on Sunday said it was suspending its migrant rescue operations in the Mediterranean, citing security concerns after Libya barred foreign vessels from a stretch of water off its coast.
In a statement, Sea Eye said it was with "a heavy heart" that it had decided to follow suit following the Libyan government's "explicit threat against the private NGOs".
Tensions have been on the rise since the Libyan navy on Thursday ordered foreign vessels to stay out of a coastal search and rescue zone, a measure it said was specifically aimed at non-governmental groups.
Libyan authorities have accused charities of aiding human smugglers with their rescues at sea, hampering efforts to crack down on the illegal migration route.
"Under these circumstances, a continuation of our rescue work is not currently possible. It would be irresponsible towards our crews," Sea Eye founder Michael Buschheuer said.
Italy, which has borne the brunt of Europe's migrant crisis this year, has also moved to rein in NGOs helping the multinational search and rescue operation by making them sign up to a new code of conduct.
Sea Eye said it would continue to monitor the "changed security situation" off the Libyan coast.
"We leave behind a deadly gap in the Mediterranean," Buschheuer warned.
Six years since a revolution that toppled longtime dictator Moamer Kadhafi, Libya has become a key departure point for migrants risking their lives to cross the Mediterranean to Europe.
Tens of thousands of migrants have resorted to paying people traffickers for the journey, often on overcrowded and unseaworthy boats.
Migrant aid ships have played a key role in assisting the rescue operations, and Sea Eye says it has helped save some 12,000 lives since April 2016.
Zeidan, who became premier in November 2012, was dismissed by Libya's parliament in March 2014 amid accusations that public funds had been embezzled.
Report says children resulting from enslavement of women should not face marginalization
Stoltenberg will hold talks with Polish President Andrzej Duda in Warsaw on Thursday before travelling to the NATO base in the northern village of Orzysz, Tomasz Szatkowski, Poland's deputy defence minister, told local media on Tuesday.
Firefighters were digging with their bare hands to pull 11-year old Ciro, the last of three brothers buried in the debris, about 13 hours after the quake struck.
Operation comes as U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis arrives in Baghdad for talks on anti-ISIL fight
Thousands of pastoralists in northern Ngorongoro district made homeless as homes torched to protect wild game
UNICEF says 'extremely concerned about an appalling increase in the cruel and calculated use of children, especially girls'
Iraqi troops, supported by the forces of a US-led international coalition, routed IS fighters in Mosul in July following a gruelling nine-month fight.
In the eurozone, Frankfurt's DAX 30 index gained 0.7 percent to 12,151.76 points and the Paris CAC 40 advanced 0.5 percent to 5,112.13 compared with the close Monday.
US to base strategy 'on conditions'; will not discuss troop levels
West African nation recalled its ambassador to Qatari capital Doha earlier in June
Agency director estimates about 1,100 employees will work overtime hours that exceeds congressionally-mandated limits
Macedonia's foreign ministry said it was informed by the embassy late Sunday that employees were being called back to Belgrade for consultations.
The government also emphasised that current negotiations about the divorce are "inextricably" linked to future trade arrangements and should therefore be discussed at the same time.