World Bulletin / News Desk
According to Mustafa Abu Zahra, head of a local NGO devoted to protecting the city’s Muslim grave sites, an Israeli bulldozer showed up in the area early Monday and destroyed part of the cemetery’s western wall.
“The bulldozer pushed about 10 meters into the cemetery before local residents intervened to stop it,” Abu Zahra told Anadolu Agency.
According to the activist, Jerusalem’s Martyrs’ Cemetery contains the remains of about 400 Muslims killed in the 1967 Arab-Israeli war, which ended with Israel's occupation of the Palestinian West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip.
“This place was designated as a cemetery by Jerusalem’s local council before the occupation of the city in 1967,” Abu Zahra said.
Now, he added, the Israeli authorities planned to turn the cemetery into a park for Israeli Jews.
Abu Zahra said his NGO was thinking about filing a complaint with the Israeli court system against the decision to turn the Muslim cemetery into a park.
Israel occupied East Jerusalem in 1967, later annexing the entire city in 1980, claiming it as the new Jewish state’s “eternal capital”.
Holt, a 26-year-old Mormon missionary from Utah, had traveled to Venezuela in June 2016 to marry Thamara, whom he had met on the internet.
Parliament will convene on Monday to vote on annulling the election results amid fraud allegations
Abbas, 82, was taken to hospital last week after suffering a fever
The strike over a hike in diesel prices has caused widespread fuel shortages that have shut down urban transportation systems, crippled industries and sent prices of food and fuel soaring.
The latest conciliatory declarations capped a turbulent few days of diplomatic brinkmanship on the Korean Peninsula that had sent tensions soaring.
This is first election after deal with FARC rebels to end decades-long insurgency in country
Trump, in a tweet, did not identify Holt by name but Utah Senator Orrin Hatch confirmed that the Utah resident had been freed.
Platini was banned from all football-related activities, later reduced on appeal to four years, by FIFA following a $2 million payment he received from the body in 2011 for work he did a decade earlier, with no contract to show for the deal.
The airstrike was believed to have been carried out by a U.S.-led coalition warplane
Video shows desecration with bacon, ‘bodily fluids’
South Korea's presidential office celebrates possible resurrection of Trump-Kim summit
For 9th Friday in row, Palestinians demonstrate near Gaza-Israel security fence despite risk of violent Israeli response
Baghdad says strikes are pre-approved by regime in Damascus