World Bulletin / News Desk
The Palestinian Red Crescent has accused Israeli forces of barring its ambulances from rescuing a Palestinian lethally shot by the troops near the West Bank city of Ramallah.
"Israeli forces prevented the ambulances from reaching the scene for an hour and half," Palestinian Red Crescent spokesman Mohamed Ayaz told Anadolu Agency.
Mohamed Mubarak, a 22-year-old from Jalazone refugee camp, was killed by Israeli soldiers in Ein Siniya, an area north of Ramallah.
He had sustained three gunshot injuries in the back and was dead upon arrival at Ramallah medical complex.
Ayaz said their ambulances had rushed to the scene to offer help to the Palestinian, before being stopped by Israeli forces.
"The Israeli forces sealed off the area and declared it a closed military zone," he lamented.
Mubarak was working in a USAID-sponsored development of a road between Ein Siniya and Ramallah, Palestinian Minister of Public Works and Housing Maher Ghneim said in a statement.
Ghneim said USAID had got the necessary approval for the road development project from the Israeli authorities. He called on international rights organizations to investigate Mubarak's death.
However, the Israeli newspaper YediothAhronoth quoted Israeli army sources as saying that an armed conflict had broken out between Israeli soldiers and a Palestinian militant in northern Ramallah after the militant shot at the car of Israeli settlers.
During Mubarak's funeral, which was attended by thousands, clashes erupted between Palestinians and Israeli forces near Jalazone refugee camp, with Israeli soldiers firing teargas and rubber bullets at mourners.
No casualties, however, were reported.
Clashes also broke out between Palestinians and Israeli soldiers at the entrance to Birzeit town, in northern Ramallah, after Palestinian youths pelted Israeli soldiers with stones in protest at Mubarak's killing.
Father accuses Israel of killing son 'in cold blood'
Mohamed Mubarak's father earlier on Wednesday accused the troops of deliberately targeting his son.
"My son was killed in cold blood. [Israeli] soldiers humiliated him in the street and killed him," Mahmoud Mubarak, 56, told Anadolu Agency.
"He was the apple of my eyes. I don't know what to do," cried the grieving father.
Ramallah Mayor Laiela Ghanam condemned the killing, urging the international community and human rights organizations to "intervene immediately to stop the bloodbath in the Palestinian territories."
Palestinians, Israeli forces clash outside Joseph's tomb
Two Palestinians, including a woman, were injured early Thursday in clashes with Israeli forces near prophet Joseph's tomb in the West Bank town of Nablus.
"Some 1200 settlers stormed the tomb early this morning and performed Talmudic rituals," Palestinian activist Emad Shakhser told Anadolu Agency.
He said that seven buses carrying Jewish settlers had arrived at the bomb under the protection of Israeli forces.
Israeli forces fired teargas and rubber bullets to disperse Palestinians who had gathered to protest the Jewish settlers' presence at the tomb, a holy site venerated by both Muslims and Jews.
"A woman and a young man were injured because of teargas and were treated on the seen," Emad said.
There was no comment from the Israeli army.
Joseph's tomb has long been a flashpoint for violence. Jews believe the site to be the burial place of the biblical patriarch Joseph. Muslims, however, challenge this claim, saying an Islamic cleric – Sheikh Yussef Dawiqat – was buried at the site two centuries ago.
Company bows to protests after deleting video but applies age restriction
'More violence will not bring peace and security to Afghanistan', says State Department
This is the second Palestinian journalist to have died by Israeli gunfire
Prime Minister Sharma Oli accepts that rebuilding after 2015 earthquake has remained sluggish
At least 41 Gazans were killed in anti-occupation rallies since last month
Some 6,500 Palestinians are currently being held in Israeli prisons
'Texas honors all the men and women who protect and serve our communities, and justice will be served,' Texas governor says
Police said the suspect, 25-year-old Alek Minassian, was not known to them before Monday's carnage in Canada's most populous city, which also left 15 people injured.
At least 41 Palestinians were martyred by Israeli gunfire on Gaza border since March 30
Talks are expected to tackle the possibility of U.S. troop withdrawal from war-torn Syria
Plans to roll out an appeals process globally in coming months came as Facebook provided a first-ever look at internal standards used to decide what posts go too far in terms of hateful or threating speech.
John Bolton led Gatestone Institute from 2013 until he took his White House position earlier this month
Attack ‘not part of a wider plot and there is no threat to national security’, says public safety minister
That vote, scheduled to take place at about 5:00 pm (2100 GMT), would not end the nomination, but would put a negative recommendation in the hands of the closely-divided full Senate -- where his approval is not guaranteed.
The company said in a message to customers that the attack was detected on January 14, at a time when the app had 14 million users in the Middle East, North Africa, Pakistan and Turkey, according to the economic news website Arabian Business.
We hope everyone remains fully committed to implementation and long-term preservation, says UN under-secretary-general