World Bulletin / News Desk
At least 17 people have reportedly been killed and others injured in attacks last week by alleged Boko Haram insurgents on three villages in Nigeria's northeastern Borno hinterlands.
"The attackers came around 11pm when we were about to go to bed," Wakil Dogo, a resident of Njaba village, told Anadolu Agency on Friday about a Tuesday attack.
"Up to 10 people were killed and many sustained various injuries," he added.
Speaking in a creole of local Kanuri and Hausa language, Dogo said he had escaped to Maiduguri, capital city of Borno, along with two daughters after the attack.
He said those who sustained serious injuries are being treated at the University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital and other nearby hospitals in the capital.
"I learnt that similar attacks were carried out in our neighboring village of Kaya," Dogo said.
"I'm told the attackers killed around seven people. But this was on Wednesday," he added.
Security officials said they have no information on the incidents.
"We will brief you when we have any clear information about what you are talking about," Mohammed Dole, an army spokesman, told AA when asked for comment.
"For now, I cannot comment on the attacks," he asserted.
A hitherto peaceful organization that had preached against government corruption, Boko Haram suddenly turned violent in 2009 following the murder of group leader Mohamed Yusuf while in police custody.
In the years since, Boko Haram has been blamed for thousands of terrorist acts, including attacks on churches and security posts across Nigeria's northern region.
Although it claims to want an Islamist government in the region, Nigerian Muslims – most of whom reject Boko Haram as un-Islamic – have also been targeted by the militant group.Last Mod: 25 Ocak 2014, 10:44