World Bulletin / News Desk
At least 20 people were killed in an attack on a village in the restive northern state of Borno by suspected Boko Haram militants, according to a military source.
"The villagers said they had earlier received a threat from people who identified themselves as Boko Haram, asking for money and threatening to visit them with violence," the source told Anadolu Agency, requesting anonymity.
"Unfortunately, the community did not alert security on the threat and Boko Haram returned today and killed 20 people," added the source.
The attackers shot dead the villagers during a Sunday morning raid on the remote Kamuyya community, south of Borno, the epicenter of Boko Haram insurgency.
Residents said armed men had stormed the village before noon and "shot at sight."
Hundreds of villagers had fled into the bush after the attack, fearing the insurgents might come back, Bala Illiya, a local resident told AA.
Kamuyya is in Biu local government where similar attack took place on Thursday.
Biu shares border with Chibok, the area from where the militants had abducted scores of schoolgirls last month.
Attacks blamed on Boko Haram militants have claimed more than 150 lives in Borno during the past two weeks alone.
Boko Haram, which means "Western education is forbidden" in Nigeria's local Hausa language, first emerged in the early 2000s preaching against government misrule and corruption.
The group later became violent, however, after the death of its leader in 2009 while in police custody.
In the five years since, the shadowy sect has been blamed for numerous attacks – on places of worship and government institutions – and thousands of deaths.Last Mod: 26 Mayıs 2014, 10:03