World Bulletin/News Desk
At least three people were killed and 48 wounded on Monday when a booby-trapped car exploded inside the South Sinai Security Directorate, located in Al-Tur, capital city of Egypt's South Sinai province.
Dr. Khaled Abu Hashim, the head of the ambulance service in South Sinai, said many were critically wounded.
According to security sources, causalities included police personnel and civilians who happened to be in the directorate building at the time of the blast.
The sources expected the death toll to rise to at least five.
The same sources said that explosive devices found planted near the walls of the facility were being defused.
The security sources added that military reinforcements had been sent to the site and were currently combing surrounding areas.
Monday's attack on a South Sinai security facility was the first of its kind since the army's July 3 ouster of elected President Mohamed Morsi.
Since Morsi's overthrow, police and army personnel and facilities have come under almost daily attack.
All such attacks, however, had, until now, been confined to Egypt's North Sinai province.
Last Mod: 07 Ekim 2013, 16:24