World Bulletin / News Desk
Two sources on Tuesday said that 60 females were held hostage, 30 men killed, and children were abducted by Boko Haram last week in a raid of a village in northeastern Nigeria.
The sources say that the gunmen were dressed as soldiers as they invaded the village of Kummabza in Borno state on June 18 and held the people hostage for four days.
A senior local government official said they set the village on fire with petrol bombs and explosives after killing 30 male villagers, whisked away 60 female hostages, and looted food supplies. Some of the kidnapped girls were between the ages of 3 and 12.
"They took away 60 women, including small girls, after holding the village hostage for four days and killing 30 men," said the local official, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals from Boko Haram.
"They set the whole village on fire while they were leaving after carting away all the foodstuff from the barns," the official said.
Abba Aji Khalili, a vigilante leader in Maiduguri, said, "The survivors had to trek to nearby Lassa village 25 kilometers away and Madagali town in neighboring Adamawa state before people got to know what had happened."
Some villagers too weak to make the long trek were still in the village in "dire need of humanitarian assistance," Khalil said.
"They are facing a serious humanitarian challenge" because they have no access to food, water and shelter, he said.Last Mod: 25 Haziran 2014, 11:04