The casualty toll from a Wednesday attack on a military intelligence headquarters in the North Sinai border town of Rafah has risen to 11 killed and 17 injured, state television reported.
An initial report by an Egyptian military spokesman had put the death toll at six.
On his Facebook page, military spokesman Ahmed Ali said that "terrorist elements carried out a heinous attack using two vehicles loaded with large amounts of explosives."
According to state television, the remains of two bodies believed to belong to the attackers were found at the scene.
The attack came as the Egyptian army steps up a massive offensive against militant groups thought to be based in the restive peninsula, which shares borders with both Israel and the Gaza Strip.
The region has seen almost daily attacks by unknown gunmen since the July 3 military ouster of democratically elected president Mohamed Morsi. Last month, 25 policemen were killed in North Sinai in an attack by suspected militants.
According to Ali, military and police personnel succeeded in killing nine Sinai-based militants this week and arresting as many others.
In the same period, he said, troops had also destroyed 118 suspected militant hideouts, three weapons stockpiles and 33 vehicles loaded with weapons.
The ongoing campaign has targeted the villages of Touma, Zuhair, Goura and Maqdaba, all of which are located in North Sinai near the border with the besieged Gaza Strip.
Reliable security sources have told Anadolu Agency that the current Sinai offensive was the most extensive military operation to be seen on the peninsula since Egypt's 1973 war with Israel.
AALast Mod: 11 Eylül 2013, 16:57