World Bulletin/News Desk
Suspected members of the Boko Haram armed with machineguns laid siege on the northeastern town of Bama on Tuesday, freeing over 100 prison inmates and leaving 55 people dead, the military said.
Around 200 heavily armed members of Boko Haram arrived in buses and pick-up trucks and carried out a coordinated strike, first hitting the army barracks and the police station before breaking into the town's prison, military spokesman Sagir Musa told Reuters.
Musa said 22 police officers, 14 prison officials, two soldiers and four civilians were killed, while 13 of the group's own members died, in what was one of the rebel's most deadly single strikes since a 2009 uprising.
Gunmen freed 105 prisoners during the raid which began at around 5 a.m. (0400 GMT) and lasted almost five hours, Musa said. He said some of the attackers were dressed in army uniforms.
Bama's police station, army barracks and government buildings were set ablaze, he said.
"They came in army uniform pretending to be soldiers but were able to detect them," Musa said.
Bama is a small, remote town in northeastern Borno state, Boko Haram's home state and the nucleus of its attacks.
"The call to prayer was just being said at about 5 a.m. when the Boko Haram started shooting from all directions and we ran for our lives," eyewitness Amina Usman told Reuters.
Violence in Nigeria's northeast has shown no signs of abating. Clashes between fighters and a multinational force from Nigeria, Niger and Chad killed dozens of people last month.
A senator who visited the site said 228 people were killed, but the military puts the figure at 37.
President Goodluck Jonathan has set up a committee to work out the terms of an amnesty for the rebels but their leader, Abubakar Shekau, has shown no interest in it so far.Last Mod: 08 Mayıs 2013, 15:16