World Bulletin / News Desk
An Egyptian court sentenced to death on Tuesday 14 suspects for a deadly attack on a police station in North Sinai last year, a court official said.
The condemned men were convicted for attacking a police station in north Sinai's main town of al-Arish in July 2011, killing an army officer, five policemen and a civilian, the court said.
Footage from inside the court showed defendants, wearing the white overalls issued to detainees, standing or sitting in a metal cage. One was brought into court in a wheelchair. Six of the condemned men were present in court, others convicted in absentia.
They were all accused of being members of Al-Tawhid Wal Jihad, one of the banned groups being targeted in a security crackdown on the desert peninsula.
The same court, in the city of Ismailia, on the west bank of the Suez Canal, will rule on Sept. 24 on another 11 defendants, also accused of being part of the group that was blamed for bombing tourist resorts in Sinai in 2004 and 2005.
Thirteen of the 25 defendants in the two cases were tried in absentia as they are not in Egyptian custody.Last Mod: 15 Ağustos 2012, 11:17