Egypt's Interior Ministry has vowed to preempt a planned "Islamic youth uprising" on Friday, which has been called for by a Salafist group, vowing to arrest organizers ahead of the demonstrations.
"We laid down a plan to arrest the organizers of the November 28 protests, even before they take place," ministry spokesman Hani Abdel-Latif told The Anadolu Agency.
The spokesman did not give further details of the plan, but said the arrest campaign would take place over the "next few days."
Earlier this month, Egypt's Salafist Front – a subcomponent of ousted president Mohamed Morsi's main support bloc – called for an "Islamic uprising" on November 28 with the aim of ending "military rule" and maintaining "Egypt's [Islamic] identity."
Following the protest calls, security forces arrested leading Salafist Front member Ahmed Mawlana.
On Sunday, Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood announced its support for the proposed protests, although it refrained from stating whether or not it planned to participate in the rallies.
Adel-Latif claimed security reports had indicated that the Brotherhood stood behind the planned protests "from behind the curtain of Salafist Front."
"We will deal with the threats firmly and seriously," he added.
The call for Friday protests has alarmed Egypt's security agencies, which have warned of potential violence by demonstrators.
The authorities have threatened to use live ammunition against anyone who attacks state institutions during the protests.
The National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy, Morsi's main support bloc, continues to organize regular rallies to protest last year's ouster of Morsi – Egypt's first freely elected president – by the army.
Security forces, however, usually disperse these rallies by force amid an ongoing crackdown on Morsi supporters that has left hundreds of protesters dead and thousands behind bars.
AALast Mod: 24 Kasım 2014, 12:44