Eight killed as rebels attack security HQ in Libya

Violence broke out as the gunmen tried to free a weapons-laden vehicle that had been seized by security forces.

Eight killed as rebels attack security HQ in Libya

World Bulletin / News Desk

Eight people were killed and up to 15 wounded when gunmen tried to storm the Libyan government security headquarters in Benghazi on Friday, army officials and medics said.

The dead were soldiers and police officers, army officials said. Huge explosions could be heard during a firefight in the early morning that lasted more than an hour. Special forces later secured the headquarters, near the city centre.

The bodies of two soldiers, kidnapped by rebels during the attack, were found later bearing signs of torture, a medical source said.

Armed men also attacked the apartment of Benghazi's security chief Colonol Ramadan al-Wahishi. He was not hurt, a security official said.

Car bombings and assassinations of soldiers and police officers have become common in Benghazi, where a bomber detonated an explosives-packed minibus outside a special forces camp on Tuesday, killing two people and wounding two.

Most countries have closed their consulates in the city and some foreign airlines have stopped flying there since the U.S. ambassador and three other Americans were killed in a rebel attack in September 2012.

Libya has struggled to restore order and contain rampant militancy with the armed militias that helped overthrow late Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 holding onto their weapons.

Last Mod: 02 Mayıs 2014, 14:38
Add Comment