World Bulletin / News Desk
At least four people have died and several properties destroyed after flash floods hit parts of South Africa’s Gauteng province late Wednesday, the provincial government confirmed on Thursday.
Flights leaving the airport were also delayed for several minutes due to the storm.
“The Gauteng Provincial government expresses sincere condolences to the families of those who lost their lives,” said Provincial spokesperson Thabo Masebe.
He said the flash floods caused severe damages to vehicles and infrastructure. Several shacks were destroyed in Alexandra Township near Johannesburg after a river in the area bust it’s banks.
Images of vehicles submerged in floods were circulated on social media sites Wednesday night sending shockwaves to those whose relatives and friends had not returned home from their daily routine.
Rains started falling in South Africa late last month after a long spell of drought which killed several livestock and affected the planting season in the country.
The Gauteng government said it was investigating the extent of damage in order to assess how they can help those affected.
‘‘The team is looking at houses and informal settlements that have been affected,’’
Addressing reporters in Johannesburg, Gauteng acting Premier Paul Mashatile said he has ordered all people living near the Jukskei River to be relocated elsewhere.
“This is a serious disaster – everyone should be moved from the flood line. There is 60 percent chance of rain again today,’’ he warned.Last Mod: 10 Kasım 2016, 14:12