World Bulletin / News Desk
The number of suspected Ebola patients in Guinea has more than doubled from last month, the health ministry said on Thursday, highlighting a "fourth phase" of the epidemic after a dip in cases in early 2015.
"There is without doubt a spike in the number of cases, especially in Forecariah and Coyah (western Guinea). The explanation is there is still resistance that has not been overcome," he said.
Guinea's President Alpha Conde has set mid-April as the target for completely ending the epidemic. Officials inGuinea have previously said Ebola was under control, only to see the virus later spread further.
"Officials are calling this the fourth phase of the epidemic characterised by an increase in cases following the dip in January," Dr. Jean-Pierre Lamarque, regional health adviser for the French foreign ministry, said by telephone from Guinea.
The first phase was characterised by scattered cases in early 2014, followed by a spike in transmission in the forest region last summer and finally an ebbing in cases in early 2015.
Unlike Liberia and Sierra Leone, the other two worst hit nations where U.S. and British military forces deployed to support the fight against Ebola, Guinea has not seen a large scale foreign military intervention.Güncelleme Tarihi: 19 Mart 2015, 17:57